Solved

data roaming in switzerland

• 8 November 2023
  • 3 replies

I understand that data roaming in Switzerland is not included in my plan and I will be charged extra for this. This is fine I will only need access to the internet for 5 mins so I check into my flight when I am in Zurich. 

I have roaming turned on in my package. I will select the roaming option on my mobile and I have a data cap of £20. Will this mean I will be able to access the internet when I am in Switzerland?

do I need to specially connect to any network? Normally when roaming abroad I will turn my mobile data on and roaming on and that gives me access to the internet.

ta.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 9 November 2023, 10:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes it should @Zazalajanaka

However, I’d suggest using a free local Wi-Fi network for your travel arrangements while in Switzerland.

£20 buys ~13MB of roaming mobile data - your iD plan probably has a data allowance of several gigabytes (GB) @Zazalajanaka.  

If you’ve got a dual SIM handset, with eSIM support maybe think about using a data only eSIM for roaming outside the EU - e.g. Airalo, BreatheSIM, GoMoWorld, etcetera. 

iD roaming charges for Switzerland are:

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Zazalajanaka,

Welcome to the Community!

I hope that @andewhite has answered your query.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

All, I've just found the same thing. If landing in Zurich or Geneva, use the free airport WiFi and search on Google for a swiss e-sim. First check that your phone accepts E-SIMs (most semi modern ones do). E-SIMs allow you to connect to local data networks without having a physical SIM. You can purchase an E-SIM for unlimited internet via sunrise or many other providers online for around £20 or less for a week, depending on your stay. It's A LOT cheaper than using ID charges. 

Once purchased, go to phone settings > network > SIM and activate using either the QR code or manually entering the code on the email on the purchased e-sim email. 

Hope it helps.

Why iD Mobile?