Question

Direct debit failed and debt collectors

• 7 August 2023
  • 3 replies

I recently had my mobile account defaulted and sent to debt collectors out of the blue. This has negatively impacted my credit score.

I purchased a contract with ID Mobile in January and successfully paid by direct debit in Jan/Feb. After this the DD appears to have failed. I did not notice this on my account, and didn't receive any letters, calls or emails about this issue.

Please note I never actually changed over my number and essentially used the monthly plan as a phone purchase, and continued using my old contract provider.

Friday just gone I receive a letter from Overdales asking for full balance, and I check my credit report and notice the debt is in default. It's not clear whether it has been sold or the relationship has just broken down.

After reviewing the Consumer Credit Act, I don't believe the default was done lawfully since I never received a default notice specifying the breach of contract and giving 14 days to remedy it as required under Section 87(1).

I had changed addresses in April and had a Royal Mail redirect in place. But no calls, texts, or emails were attempted to inform me of missed payments.

I want to maintain a positive relationship with ID Mobile and continue service, but this lack of notice has made things difficult. I would appreciate discussing:

- Removing the default from my account, as it appears to breach the Consumer Credit Act. I can complain to the Ombudsman if we can't resolve things.

- Paying the outstanding balance to resume normal service if the debt has not already been solved - my preferred option.

I’m hoping we can find a reasonable solution here that helps make things right and allows me to move forward as a customer in good standing.

Please let me know if any additional information on the situation would be helpful. I look forward to resolving this amicably. Though if needed I'm prepared to pursue the matter further with the Financial Ombudsman.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Matt

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @MattK91 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

I received a debt recovery letter out of the blue with no prior warning.

I paid the £6 straight away and changed the direct debit account from my son to my own 

Is there anyway to remove the default from my credit report?

Regards Donald 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Donaldhh 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?