Question

Direct debit remaining in my bank account long after leaving ID mobile

• 29 September 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I had long left ID to switch providers 6+ months ago, however i can see my direct debit to ID mobile remaining on my bank account.

My final payment should have been paid as part of my final direct debit payment, and since leaving there have been no further payments from my direct debit, despite it remaining on my bank account.

I have since cancelled this direct debit to clear up my bank account, it should have been a historic direct debit with no more due dates / payments (as has been the case in the time since i left); however today i received a text from ID stating

‘Your bank has notified us that your direct debit has been cancelled. If you don’t have a active direct debit with us, it could lead to missed payments, as cancelling this does not automatically cancel your contract.’

I was rather alarmed at receiving this message as i was certain my account had been closed (And can no longer access my account online), and have had no payments taken out in the months since i left, despite my direct debit still showing to ID.

Can someone inform me if direct debits typically remain on bank accounts after leaving ID, and that the text i received is a blanket message sent out whenever direct debits are cancelled, even for those who have left and shouldnt have any outstanding bills?

As i no longer have a account, i cannot double check my account status, if any outstanding charges are due etc. I am keen to avoid any mix ups regarding missed payments, especially where i have long cancelled my contract.

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @SRG,

Weirdly, I found myself in a similar situation with my old iD account, for which I’ve now deleted the direct debit (DD) setup for iD.

Even though my old iD account was closed, should’ve had a £0 balance, when I deleted the DD iD sent me a serious warning (by text message), about not having an active DD for your iD account.

In my case, to get this sorted, I contacted the iD customer support team using their online social media pages.

You can contact them privately using facebook (with Messenger), or Twitter (by DM (direct message)) - I sent them a DM on Twitter.

Out-of-hours messages on facebook or Twitter are handled when the iD social media team next start work - anyway, good luck @SRG. 

Userlevel 1

@andewhite 

Thanks for the response, i will try social media as you suggest. 

Glad i’m not the only one in this situation (or rather not glad i should say).

Without giving any personal details away of course, may i ask how / if there was anything to resolve? 

It seems like we both did everything right upon leaving ID, i was hoping the text they send is automated and that there was nothing outstanding on my account.

Any learnings to share would be much appreciated, thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes @SRG, my old iD account had a credit balance of 16p - iD owed me 16p… woohoo!

No idea how this happened, as I’ve always made sure to leave direct debits for utilities active for several months, or longer after closing an account, so I can get any refund due.

Anyway, after chatting to the social media team, iD sent a BACS refund and hopefully it’s all sorted - you never know with iD Mobile though!

Good luck @SRG.
🤞

Userlevel 1

@andewhite Thanks a bunch again - you’d have thought any outstanding balance (or refund) would settle itself soon after contract termination!

I’ve reached out so hopefully a human agent will be able to advise/resolve.

Appreciate the response and has helped calm some nerves , thanks mate! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Some banks automatically cancel a direct debit if said direct debit hasn’t been used within a certain period of time (six months usually), even if the direct debit is still wanted/needed/required.

When you close an account be it mobile, credit card or utilities, said companies do not cancel any associated direct debit. It will still be active on your bank account until either you cancel it, or the bank does due to inactivity.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @WelshPaul,

Perhaps thats been the case here, and i was hoping the message i received from ID would be an automated message sent out in all instances a direct debit has been cancelled with ID, regardless of whether it be from active customers, or those who have left.

I was certain my balance had been cleared, and nothing outstanding (due to the time since i have left, and no futher comms/payments from ID) - so had been alarmed by the message text i received from them almost 18 months after cancelling. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

No harm in double-checking your old iD account balance was/is £0 - you might be due a refund @SRG. 

Hopefully the iD social media team can assist if required.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@SRG,

Do you still require some help with this or did you manage to get this resolved?

Kash

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Kash 

Someone was able to check in and confirm my contract was cancellled with no outstanding credit after i had reached out on social media.

Thanks for checking in!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Glad to hear that @SRG,

If you do need any help, let us know here.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?