Solved

Doro 8080 WiFi calling & 4G flaky

• 25 February 2022
  • 8 replies

I have a Doro 8080. It is not on the list of known working devices for WiFi calling and is not an option in Android settings. Can this phone be added to the list of approved devices?

It is also a bit flaky especially on 4G. Sometimes even with a good mobile signal the call appears to dial out but there is no tone and the call is not made. Other times with a poor mobile signal it comes up with a message saying I should connect to WiFi even when I am at home and connected with a strong WiFi signal.

I think what is happening is that sometimes the phone wants to use WiFi or VoLTE but ID Mobile is incapable of handling either type of call on this phone. As there is no access to a WiFi calling setting it causes calls to fail but I am unable to disable it from trying. Mobile signal is weak to intermittent where I live to compound matters.

icon

Best answer by terrywebbs 27 February 2022, 14:45

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @itsyounotme, if the device isn’t featured on our compatibility list, then we can’t guarantee Wi-Fi Calling will work, unfortunately. We’re testing new devices all the time, but we’re not able to fasttrack particular models or take requests, I’m afraid. Additionally, if the phone wasn’t purchased from us directly, it likely won’t have the correct firmware version needed to use Wi-Fi Calling.

If you’re on a 30-day rolling plan, it sounds like you might be best off seeking a new network provider, in all honesty. Sorry we couldn’t be of more help.

Thank you,

Rory

Am I correct in saying that if the phone and Android levels are suitable that it would probably work but is untested so cannot be guaranteed?

The phone is a newer, more powerful Doro model than is listed as being approved and is also running Android 9. This all suggests that the handset is probably suitable. So most likely either I am doing something wrong or ID Mobile are actively blocking handsets that are not on the list.

Are there any ports that I need to open in my firewall?

If you do not take requests how on earth do you know what needs to tested first?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @itsyounotme, it’s most likely due to the fact that the phone was bought elsewhere, if that is indeed the case?

The team will have their own criteria for deciding which handsets to test and approve for use.

Thank you,

Rory

That does not make sense unless ID Mobile are barring handsets from other sources from working with WiFi Calling. Even then it would not be easy as the underlying network is Three. It would mean ID Mobile telling Three to accept only certain IMEI codes to only work with all applications.

Are there any ports that I need to open in my firewall?

If you do not take requests how on earth do you know what needs to tested first?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @itsyounotme, it’s not that we actively bar handsets or certain models, it’s just that phones bought elsewhere do not have the correct firmware flashed onto the device in order to make use of our Wi-Fi Calling feature. 

It’s not related to firewall ports or port forwarding, unfortunately.

As I say, the team will have their own process for deciding which handsets to test, but we’re not privy to the specifics, I’m afraid.

Sorry we couldn’t be of more help.

Thank you,

Rory

“our Wi-Fi Calling feature” - So ID Mobile have developed their own WiFi Calling set of standards and protocols that they are loading on handsets that they sell. I am very surprised to learn this.

“As I say, the team will have their own process for deciding which handsets to test, but we’re not privy to the specifics, I’m afraid.” - Ask.

Badge +10

@itsyounotme

This should solve your intermittent issue:

As with most devices regardless, all the software is written the same, data and wifi will fight over a connection!

This is the first issue you are facing, so I suggest you turn off wifi and just leave data enabled OR leave wifi enable and turn off data, depending on your location and needs!!!!

Secondly, the mobile is probably also set wrong and struggles to find 4g and the fall back 3g never kicks in, please use this link and change those settings….

https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/doro/8080/android-9-0/guides/24/Växla-mellan-3G-4G-Doro-8080

I suggest you try various ones to suit, however  the GSM/WCDMA setting will work 99% of the time

The GSM/WCDMA/LTE  will cause signal drop outs in poor 4g signal areas

Mobile data off does not help with the WiFi Calling issue. I would have thought the handset should be okay especially as an older, lower spec model is on the approved list so my guess is it is the SIM or mobile network that is causing WiFi Calling not to work. My knowledge is low on this subject but there must be some kind of network negotiation and handover that goes on. Perhaps if a call is made using VoLTE it should seamlessly pass over to WiFi as it is just another data network but if a VoLTE call is attempted and fails the call just hangs with no tones.

Another thing I found in the about section in the handset is that it does not know its own number. If it doesn’t know its number it might not be able to advertise itself across a data network.

The WCDMA changes suggested sometimes help but not always. Oddly 4G can occasionally be more reliable than 3G. LTE/4G is more likely to be part of the problem but not every time so I would agree that GSM/WCDMA is most often the best option. The way it states “preferred” I think is odd as it suggests the handset or the SIM builder think that 4G is a bit iffy and should not be used.

I used to work in networking and found that most kit can get a least a temporary fix from a reboot.

Why iD Mobile?