Question

End of 24 month contract clarification

Userlevel 2

Good morning

I have an account query that I cannot resolve, can you help please?

I am moving towards the end of a 24 month iPhone plus SIM contract and would like to know when my final phone payment will be taken and if after that I will be automatically moved onto a monthly SIM only basis.

I am not looking to upgrade as I am happy with both the phone and the service but would just like clarification on the two points above please.

Thank you

Gary

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Gary,

You do not autoamtically move over to a SIM only contract.

What you’ll need to do is log into the account and click My Account then Upgrade

From the options find SIM Only and then the SIM plan you wanted to upgrade to this way.

This will then swap over the contract to a SIM only plan. Either a 30-day, 12-month or 24-month depending on which one you opted for.

We’d simply pro-rata your next bill and you’ll get the pro rata allowances right away.

Hope that helps.

Mohammed

Userlevel 2

Thanks for your reply Mohammed.

Are you saying unless I "upgrade" to SIM only iD Mobile will keep taking £40/month indefinitely?

I thought I'd signed up for a 24 month iPhone purchase plan plus network plan.

Given I will have fulfilled my 24 month obligation and I'm happy with the handset I would have thought the logical process would have been to keep my network plan but end the phone purchase plan as I have fulfilled my side of the agreement.

Consequently I would have expected my payment to reduce to network only.

It seems a very strange asking me to "upgrade" to what I already have.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Gary,

Does your monthly bill show a breakdown of handset repayment and line rental?

I reckon once your handset is repaid, you’ll only pay the line rental cost for the SIM plan you purchased at the time you got the handset.

Obviously, it’s in iD Mobile’s interest to have all their customers on long term contracts, rather a rolling one-month plan, which is why you always see long-term upgrade offers in your iD My Account.

Most UK mobile network providers move you to a one-month rolling plan at end-of-contract - if you do nothing, I don’t see why iD wouldn’t do the same.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 2

Good afternoon @andewhite

Thanks very much for your input and thoughts on my situation, it is much appreciated.

I must admit I was a bit surprised that this isn’t in the FAQ’s as I’m pretty sure I wont be the first person to be in this situation…..maybe I’ve missed it!

I have just downloaded my latest monthly statement and it simply shows a “monthly recurring charge” to which VAT is added. So in answer to your question, no it doesn’t breakdown to handset and line rental, it is a combined charge

Like yourself I thought I would be moved onto a SIM only plan, however from Mohammed’s response above this appears not to be the case.

When I looked at my March statement there was a notification that I will be eligible for an upgrade as of 1st April (ironic date….) and iD will remind me then. At this point, assuming I have heard no more I shall follow Mohammed’s instruction and “upgrade” to a 30 day SIM only plan.

Unless I hear anything in the meantime I’ll post an update after I have gone through  this process and hopefully this may help others. 

Thanks again

Gary

Userlevel 2

@andewhite  @Mohammed Just been poking around before logging off and something popped up on the “Related Topics” side bar and this lady seems to have been in exactly my situation and was given similar advice from Mohammed last year. (see link below)

I say similar because he mentions that the option to “upgrade” to SIM only will show in the last 20 days. At this moment I don’t know if I will have the option to “upgrade” to 30 day SIM only on the 1st of April or if that will be a valid option on or after the 10th. The process may have changed in the last year or Mohammed has possibly forgotten to mention the “last 20 days” time-frame to me.

Either way I shall try on the 1st, failing that the 10th then the 11th of April and will update this with my progress.

Regards

Gary

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Gary,

It’s just crazy that iD bills don’t show the line rental component - seems iD are deliberately hiding this information from their customer’s.

I’d be inclined to hold-off upgrading until you get a breakdown or clarification of the line rental and handset repayment components in your bill.

Will your service stop after you pay off your handset? I don’t think so.

Can iD legitimately charge you for something you’ve paid for in-full? I don’t think so.

The iD terms & conditions say the following:

So, each upgrade starts a new minimum term, which might not suit you. If you do decide to upgrade, make sure you’re upgrading, not buying a new contract!

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Gary, also read the “contract ends in 1 week and I want to upgrade to a SIM-only” community article.

It’s clear that iD Mobile want to make this end-of-contract stuff as confusing as possible, with the aim of getting people to upgrade to another long-term deal.

Maybe the question for iD is: what happens when my fixed-term handset contract ends?.

As before, I’d hold-off upgrading until I had a breakdown or clarification of the line rental and handset repayment components being paid to iD, and an answer to the question above.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 2

@andewhite 

Thanks for that. I read the article and it is very confusing. However one point I picked up is NOT to request a new SIM during the “upgrade” process

As previously advised I shall try Mohammed’s “upgrade” process on the 1st (30 days to go) failing that the 10th (20 days to go) then the 11th (19th days to go)….then update this thread.

For a communications firm their lines of communication stink. It seems too much to ask to speak to an individual to resolve an issue and be reassured. My future business and how long I’m staying is very much dependant on how this “upgrade” goes.

Userlevel 2

@Mohammed 

Hi Mohammed below is extracted from your reply above, thank you

“You do not automatically move over to a SIM only contract.

What you’ll need to do is log into the account and click My Account then Upgrade

From the options find SIM Only and then the SIM plan you wanted to upgrade to this way.

This will then swap over the contract to a SIM only plan. Either a 30-day, 12-month or 24-month depending on which one you opted for.”

My March statement advises as of 1st April I can apply for an upgrade

Q1 When can I start the process if I want to move to 30 day SIM only plan...I have seen reference to “the last 20 days” in another of your responses to a similar question

Q2 There appear to be several references to people receiving new SIMs and possibly losing their number, how do I avoid this as I want to keep my number. Is it obvious in the “upgrade” process?

Userlevel 2

Sorted..…

Got my PAC 

Moved to Plusnet who have people you can actually speak to.

Service transferred last week.

Final bill issued showing final 2 phone payments.

Once this bill is paid I'll cancel my Direct Debit.

Sorry ID, no problem at all with your network service but your end of phone purchase plans appear to be designed to catch people out.

Also for a communication firm your lines of communication for customers queries is a disgrace. You rely on FAQ's and "community" too much.

Sometimes it's just nice to speak to someone with a query.

All in all a very disappointing experience.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Gary, I agree, iD Mobile make it extremely difficult to know what happens once your handset payment plan finishes. It’s not unreasonable to assume you only pay for your airtime plan, once the phone loan is repaid - but, this doesn’t seem to be properly explained anywhere.

I’d be inclined to leave any direct debit (DD) well alone for 3-4 months after leaving iD.
It’ll take at least one billing cycle, after you get your final bill from iD, for everything to sort itself out.

If you cancel your DD too soon, you might unknowingly have an unpaid bill that’ll be (very quickly) passed to a debt collection agency.

Anyway, have fun with your new service provider.

Why iD Mobile?