Question

Help with phone

Hello, I've just got my new handset and transferred all my files but it's done an update and is now asking me for a pin, which I never set up.

It's an s23 ultra.

Can someone please help? 

This topic has been closed for comments

23 replies

Userlevel 2

Apparently asking for a PIN code from your old phone to transfer data...

This one is to simply get into the phone. 

All my transfers are done

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @James Anthony Croxton 

Given the device would’ve been box fresh it wouldn’t have a PIN code set by us.

If you’ve transferred your data and settings from your old device it’s possible the code you used on the old device has transferred to the new one, have you tried that PIN code?

Tom

Hello, yes I've tried that and it's incorrect. 

I was on the chat service earlier but they have advised it could be up to 3 days to assist, which is no good as my number is due to transfer tomorrow from my old phone, deeming them both useless and I need my phone for work. 

I have attempted several things but every time It is wrong it says 1 hour try again, 2 hours, and currently 4 hours before I can reattempt. 

I have instructed if this cannot be resolved today then I need to cancel my agreement and this process as I cannot afford to lose my number for any period.

Thanks 

Hello, any update please as I'm conscious that my pac code request is active from tomorrow and I will have no use of my phone. 

If this can't be resolved today then I will have no option but to cancel. 

Thanks 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Resolving iD account issues via the iD community is usually a slow process @James Anthony Croxton.

The iD moderators only check-in once-a-day to read the forum posts, and sometimes it’s less frequent than this. If time is critical, use the iD live chat service (https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat) - the support agents work until 8pm on weekdays. 

I have done that and its up to 3 days

Not acceptable I'm afraid 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Agreed @James Anthony Croxton.

In my experience, the quality of support via the iD live chat service is variable, which seems typical of many online chat support offerings these days.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Odd.  But it would be worth trying 0000 if not done already.  I think even when a handset PIN isn’t ‘on’, 0000 is what’s coded-in.

Jonty.

Tried that too Jonty, nothing at all. And I'm now reluctant to try anything as last time it was an 8 hour wait before I could try again 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Damn.  And I guess no choice (button) for forgotten PIN and therefore how to get it reset?

If it was me - and assuming my older phone was still working - a factory reset would be my next step.  For the sake of a data copy…

Jonty.

My number has now been transferred over too, so nothing has been done to pause it on ID's side, even despite them knowing this was an issue. 

So I'm not entirely sure your suggestion would work, it may just read no sim. 

Pain 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Howdy.

If you’ve taken receipt of a new handset - which has somehow now got a secret PIN after an update - I assume you still have your old handset and its data?  Given this random PIN, I’d want to start from scratch.  No PIN = good, set your own, re-copy data and job done.  But still has random PIN then you can flag the handset as defective.

From what’s mentioned since the start, this isn’t a SIM PIN but a handset one.  I’d start over.

Very intrigued now...

Yeah and me

After a reset on my old phone, it asks for a pin. 

I've tried that on the new handset and it doesn't work. 

ID have acknowledge the error is theirs but say up to 3 days to look for a resolve 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Okay, so now you will need to wait for iD to resolve.

Now that your old phone is effectively blank, you obviously don’t want to risk wiping the new one.  It may well rid the issue but sadly your only data with it (unless you have a separate backup?)

Do keep us posted.

Jonty.

So ID are saying to contact Samsung now, despite the fact I can't as can't access my phone to make calls. 

Turning out to be a very poor service in my opinion is this! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

TBH, iD Mobile should’ve told you to contact Samsung support the first time you chatted to iD about this issue.

They knew my number was transferring to my new phone. 

I now don't have access to it and I'm left In this situation. 

Shocking 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes indeed @James Anthony Croxton.

I guess you’ve got the option to return and cancel your order, in your cooling off period, and then transfer your number to your new provider.

If you buy online from iD Mobile, the cooling off period is 30-days.

I think I will have no choice at this stage. 

Samsung couldn't help 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I guess you could still factory reset the (new) phone and see - but do you have another copy of your data anywhere?  And with your number now having moved, will that SIM card work in the old phone to at least give you ‘something’ to use?  If the old phone isn’t locked, it should work.

Jonty.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess you could still factory reset the (new) phone and see - but do you have another copy of your data anywhere?  And with your number now having moved, will that SIM card work in the old phone to at least give you ‘something’ to use?  If the old phone isn’t locked, it should work.

Jonty.

Most data on Android phones ends up in Google’s cloud, and is surprisingly easy to recover provided you sign-in with the same Google account (Gmail email address).

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @andewhite 

I’d say it really depends on the user.  You’re right, but I intentionally keep some things in the cloud but others not,  And some folk I know have nothing in the cloud, nor local backups.  I perform manual backups and redundancy and therefore fully in-control.  But I appreciate that’s not everyone.  Guess it depends how the OP rolls 😀

Jonty.

Why iD Mobile?