Question

How can I turn off warning texts about using short codes?

• 23 March 2023
  • 6 replies

I've set my spending limit per month just so I can enter competitions that use short codes and am obviously aware that it is the entrance fee (£2) plus a standard text cost. But, everytime I do this I get a warning text from iD stating the obvious. How can I turn off these annoying messages? 

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Themaestro023,

It’s not possible to turn these off. They’re sent automatically as a network default to ensure customers are warned about possible charges being incurred.

Mohammed

Ok, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Themaestro023 ,

You’re Welcome.

If you require any assistance in the future, please let us know here.

Kash

Really? I was hoping to find a way to turn these annoying texts off as well. 

Let’s be honest, they’re absolutely pointless, you state above that they’re sent automatically to warn us of possible charges.

So the first point to note is, they’re sent automatically AFTER the text has been sent and a charge incurred, no option to reply to the ID message and not send the original text to avoid charges, so they’re not achieving anything apart from being totally annoying!

Second point, I’m sure that 99%+ of users know that short codes are usually chargeable and if they don’t want extra charges they can change their settings to a £0 cap to avoid them. So, us that have set a cap know we’re spending something and don’t need a text back to tell us we’ve done so.

The least ID could do would be to implement a setting that allows us to turn these off if we don’t want them.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts, but the main point is why annoy us after the event that we’ve already been charged? Totally pointless exercise! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is there a regulatory obligation to do this now?
Are there a number of OFCOM rules, for the mobile networks to follow, designed to protect a minority of mobile phones users?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Sooteee 

There are plenty of users who are not aware that a number they contact is actually charging them, this warning helps these users a lot.

I understand the want for an option here, we’ll feed this back to the team, thanks.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?