Question

I am really tired of poor network coverage

Userlevel 1

I have complained about the network coverage for my area before.

Today, yet again,  I have been unable to use my phone properly because of your poor network coverage.

And before you ask, Yes, I did check your network coverage before I signed up with you via a link from Money Saving Expert. That link reported that the coverage for my area is ‘OK’. Whatever that is supposed to mean, it obviously indicates that the coverage is working. I have also checked the 3 Mobile coverage and that too implies good coverage for my area. 

But that’s not the case. A more realistic view of your coverage can be found here:

https://mastdata.com/resources/coverage-map.aspx?mnc=20&gen=4&lat=51.527434&lng=-0.908808&z=14

By selecting ‘3’ from the icons on the top left corner you can get a better idea of what network coverage is actually like in my area. It’s basically non-existent.

Today, while at work, my phone went from ‘No Network - emergency calls only’ to H+ to 4g.

While H+ and 4g barely worked if at all.

And Yes, I did restart my phone and no, it didn’t make any difference.

To add to this from Friday 30th June 2023 until Tuesday 2nd July 2023 we were unable to make or receive phone calls. We were told by your support online chat on Sunday 2nd of June 2023 to wait for 48 hours ! It’s a good job we kept our landline.

To be honest I would lie to end my contract with ID Mobile but I don’t see why I should have to pay the estimated final bill because the performance has been so poor.

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @nictu,

The termination fee is only applicable if cancelling outside of the returns period and when you’re still in a minimum term.

Any contract you purchase from us directly comes with 30-day returns which is ample time to test the coverage and make a commitment.

We don’t guarantee coverage over all of the UK but there can be issues that impact services indoor which are out of our control.

What’s your home postcode where you are facing issues?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hello Mohammed,

Thank you for replying. 

My postcode is rg91lt.

Please have a look at the Mastdata website for this postcode instead of the 3 mobile coverage map, as it is much more accurate and will probably be more use to iD Mobile in the future.

Thank you for you help.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

FYI @nictu - 

Userlevel 1

Thank you Mohammed, 

But I have already seen that message, I was directed to that two months ago. please see here:

and also this message seems to contradict the Id Mobile coverage checker for the same postcode, Please see here:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

Your coverage checker claims “4G -Yes - Very good service”. But this is not the case as you have just pointed out in your message above.

Thank you for your help,

Nicholas Turner.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @nictu, the online coverage check and network status check are very different things.

The online coverage checker only shows the theoretical coverage (based on computer models), which may be very different to the actual coverage, at any given location.

I’ve also got the same network status checker message in my location (been there for 10+ months).
Other similar forum topics suggest this is because Three UK (the iD Mobile network partner) are upgrading their backhaul network to handle expected increases in 4G VoLTE traffic etcetera, once Three have turned off all their 3G network infrastructure - scheduled for completion by end of 2024.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your input @andewhite.

But I’m sorry I’m not sure what to make of it. If the coverage checker isn’t accurate, then for me anyway, it’s not a lot of use.

If it’s of any help to you, I found what seems to be a good coverage checker website call mastdata.com

Many Thanks,

Nick. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes @nictu, www.mastdata.com is based on actual coverage at any given location, not theoretical coverage as shown in the online coverage checkers of the UK mobile service providers.

In fairness, most online coverage checkers caution against relying on their results - for example, with iD Mobile it states:

Although we try to make these coverage results as accurate as possible, the information is only a guide and doesn't guarantee service availability in a particular location. Our roll out plans are updated regularly but may change over time. Your network signal may differ while inside.
The coverage shown may vary depending on your device.

Userlevel 1

Hello @andewhite ,

Well, quite, what are you supposed to do?  If the information you're given isn't accurate, sign up at your own risk.

Thanks again,

Nick

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @andewhite ,

Well, quite, what are you supposed to do?  If the information you're given isn't accurate, sign up at your own risk.

Thanks again,

Nick

I’d suggest talking to family or friends about reception on the networks they’re using.

Otherwise, maybe get a SIM only 1-month plan, or PAYG SIM for the network you’re considering, and then check the actual reception using the ‘test’ SIM card in your handset. 

Either option might be better than relying on an online theoretical coverage check - anyway, hopefully Three UK get on and finish work on their backhaul network in your area, and your service gets better afterwards.

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite ,

Thanks for the insights and advice. It’s very much appreciated. We used to be with BT, who use the EE network, We never had a problem anywhere we went in the UK. We left because we couldn’t justify or afford their price increases (broadband/mobile/landline) and we were a BT customer for over 20 years. So I know that another service does work in my area.

I’m still considering the ombudsman or OFCOM, even if it’s just get 3 Mobile to get a move on with whatever work it is they’re doing.

Thanks again,

Nick.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe consider using Lyca Mobile or Utility Warehouse @nictu - they’re both using the EE network for their UK services. 

I’ve been on the Three UK network since around 2010, and not really had reception issues in that time. It’s interesting to note how our own experience using the Three UK network differs. 

Anyway, good luck @nictu.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @andewhite ,

Thanks for the insights and advice. It’s very much appreciated. We used to be with BT, who use the EE network, We never had a problem anywhere we went in the UK. We left because we couldn’t justify or afford their price increases (broadband/mobile/landline) and we were a BT customer for over 20 years. So I know that another service does work in my area.

I’m still considering the ombudsman or OFCOM, even if it’s just get 3 Mobile to get a move on with whatever work it is they’re doing.

Thanks again,

Nick.

Hey @nictu,

Ombudsman wouldn’t help with boosting signal in specific areas. They have no control over this. They are only used to investigate complaints that have not been resolved to satisfaction and cannot make any changes to the network.

Hello @andewhite ,

Thanks again,

Nick

Coverage checks are estimates.

This is why returns periods are provided.

We provide 30-day returns on all contracts purchased from iD Mobile directly so you can fully test this before comitting.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hello Mohammed,

Thank you for replying. Yes I am aware that the that the ombudsman has nothing to do with the strength of a signal.

And yes, you are right, I should have cancelled within 30 days instead of staying with this contract.

Unfortunately my first enquiry on this forum regarding this problem ; 

Was just outside 30 days from signing up.

It might be useful for new customers to be made more aware of the cancellation time window during the sign up process? The version of terms and conditions I received consists of 4 pages including 12,988 words. I think it’s understandable that perhaps customers don’t read this for many reasons or, if they do read it, may not memorise every detail.

it’s just a thought,

Many thanks,

Nick.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think you’re seeing the same network status message at RG9 2ED and RG9 1LT.

Other topics in this forum suggest this message is shown wherever Three UK are working on upgrading their backhaul network to cope with increasing data traffic after 3G switch-off.

Following 3G switch-off, all calls become 4G VoLTE data packets on the Three UK mobile network. If the work is completed in your area/s before end of 2024 (i.e. 3G switched-off UK wide), your mobile data connection should improve - otherwise it might be a question of waiting for 2025.

Why iD Mobile?