Question

i message, facetime and location not working.

• 22 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Yesterday I got a new phone and transferred all my data over keeping my ID mobile sim.  My daughter had my old phone.  Both were I phones before.  
(XR and 13) now on iPhone 15 and my daughter on my old 13   

It’s been more than 24 hours and still none of us have i message, face time or locations via our SIM card number? 

Apple said it’s a carrier issue after remote assisting me and checking all details were set correct.   All we get is a message saying iPhone message activation unsuccessful when selecting phone number under I message.    Apple took me through a lot of checks and things to try taking over an hour but no luck.   

they have confirmed it should work as it does if we select email under iMessage but that doesn’t send messages using my phone contacts.    

if a friend is also on Apple I can’t send a normal sms it just fails due to iMessage not being activated.  

I tried the online chat who told me they don’t send carrier update messages to update settings yet every other provider does.    They hadn’t even heard of that method.   

Any ideas what to do as it seems ID have no technical team you can talk to either which most providers do have?  

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Apple also say online it can take up to 24-hours for iMessage and FaceTime to activate. 

If the iMessage option is turned OFF, you should be able to send an SMS to anybody.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201422

It has been more than 24 hours.  Apple told me not to turn off IMessage because that resets the 24 hours and that it should say awaiting activation and not an error with activation when trying to select my number.   Both myself and Daughter getting the same issue.   

Also to add I did contact ID who had no clue what I was talking about and said it was an apple issue.   Apple took remote control of my phone, checked everything and said it’s a carrier issue.   

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This one of those situations where Apple can blame iD and iD can blame Apple. 

iMessage and FaceTime are Apple services that require a data connection.

It seems Apple’s activation process is something they do to verify the mobile number that should be associated with the Apple device. Apparently problems can occur if Apple don’t recognise the number linked to the SIM card in the iPhone has changed. 

Apple checked everything was correct.   They confirmed that an update from carrier is needed for settings but ID have no clue what I’m on about.   Just going to swap to the sky sim and upgrade the Data on it and then order my daughter a sim from them too.   Be so much easier than all this chasing around.    I’m going on holiday tomorrow and my phone is not working as it should.   

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately, if things don’t work it appears Apple blame iD, and iD blame Apple. 

Hopefully your Sky Mobile SIM card will work immediately, without any iMessage / FaceTime activation issues. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Khaleesi81 I am sorry to hear of the trouble you have had. Please can you try the following for me and let us know how you get on?

1) Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)

2) Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)

3) Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct.

4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number

5) Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)

6) Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under "Start new conversations from:"

If you are having issues with step 4 please reset network settings and try again. Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Hi.  That was all done multiple times with Apple assisting through remote control.  Number is correct but won’t select phone number or it pops up with activation not successful on both mine and my daughters phones.   

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi.  That was all done multiple times with Apple assisting through remote control.  Number is correct but won’t select phone number or it pops up with activation not successful on both mine and my daughters phones.   

Have you tried a replacement iD SIM card @Khaleesi81

Other iPhone users found this resolved their activation issues - for example, see the forum posts by @ncl698 in the “unable to activate iMessage or FaceTime” topic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Khaleesi81 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?