Solved

Inheriting someone else's history on a newly issued mobile numer

• 29 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve recently switched from Virgin to Id opting to port my old number. Apart from avoiding the nuisance of alerting all services linked to my Virgin number to a new number I chose not to accept an ID mobile number because they are re-issued to new customers after being out of circulation for 90 days only. Has anyone experienced calls on a newly issued number relating to a previous user ? 

Thanks

JW

icon

Best answer by Tom 2 May 2023, 16:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JayW 

I can’t say I’ve heard of people having been given a fresh number by iD Mobile and being called by the previous user of the number.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom...it’s definitely a thing in the States. Logic would suggest that once a number is on the data base of this or that call centre it is possible that you might receive calls on a recycled number. When I looked after my late mother’s affairs I would use my mobile number which is still receiving calls regarding her previous address...she died in 2014. So it seems that a number does remain on data bases of call centres for quite some time. It’s likely that when Virgin re-issue my old number the new user will continue to receive calls associated with my name. However, in the big picture it’s perhaps not a significant issue as there is useful software these days which will auto block calls from numbers no longer in my contact list and over which I have a degree of control in answering or not. Thanks for your reply.  

Userlevel 1

And in reading your initial answer Tom it’s not the problem of being called by a previous user of a number but rather being called by parties who had that number on their data base.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @JayW,

Numbers are recycled on most UK networks and as each database callcentres hold is managed by themselves it’s possible this could happen.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?