Question

International Roaming Charges / Data Cap

• 3 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello- I purchased an eSim for data roaming abroad (Peru) and have used 1GB of data from this. However, when I have checked my home ID SIM data usage in my device settings (by chance), it states that I have used 18.62 GB of data in 7 days. I don't know how this could have happened as I have kept my phone on airplane mode for most of the trip and just turned on data when needed to look for restaurants etc. I have a Google pixel 5a. Any advice on roaming charges, as the website states £15 per MB for use in countries not listed in the inclusion. I have calculated that the rate will be £279,600 according to the roaming charge. How is this possible? I have a cap on my account of £3 and have been told by the chat bot that this will have kicked in, so the most I would have to pay will be £3. However, this contradicts the information on the website. Any advice would be much appreciated, as I am travelling for the next 5 weeks and this is causing considerable stress given that I am not able to contact ID mobile via telephone and the website is currently down. Thank you in advance. 

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Assuming your iD SIM card is the primary SIM in your Pixel 5a, perhaps your eSIM service provider can explain how to disable mobile data for the primary SIM. 

This forum article might explain why you see a discrepancy for mobile data on your dual SIM Pixel 5a, @Amy Hume. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Amy Hume 

If you’ve capped your bill at £3 you wouldn’t be able to use allowances that would go over that cap. The device settings may show both your iD Mobile SIM card and eSIM with another network combined, or may include usage while you were in the UK with the iD Mobile SIM card.

We’d recommend checking your bill when received.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?