Solved

iphone 12 wifi calling not working

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi people. I today moved to Id mobile from 3 network. I purchased my iPhone 12 through Carphone Warehouse on a contract with Id mobile. However Wi-Fi calling is not working. I have tried everything I think but any help would be appreciatedĀ 

thanksĀ 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 12 April 2022, 18:52

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

19 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

HelloĀ @Andros,

Try turning your phone OFF for at least 10 minutes.

When I joined iD Mobile, I had an unlocked iPhone 7 and it took meĀ a while to get Wi-Fi Calling to work.Ā Since then itā€™s been a great service, and thereafter has worked with my iPhone SE 2020 and now my iPhone 13.Ā 

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks very much for the reply Iā€™ll try that and report back tomorrowĀ 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Still not working possible faulty handset told by live chat to return to Carphone Warehouse with itĀ 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Andros, can you browse using Safari on your iPhone 12, when youā€™re on a Wi-Fi network?

If you can browse using Safari when connected to a Wi-Fi network (with mobile data OFF), then your deviceā€™s Wi-Fi works.

If the Wi-Fi works, itā€™s more likely thereā€™s a tech problem with setup of your iD account - good luck though.

Ā 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah Wi-Fi is working fine itā€™s just Wi-Fi calling that is not . I noticed it before the port happened too when I was withĀ Three network where as it worked fine on my previous handset the iPhone XR. But thanks AndewhiteĀ 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Andros, if Wi-Fi networking works on the device, can you borrow a pay monthly EE SIM or O2 SIM from someone?

I believeĀ these networks haveĀ Wi-Fi Calling service enabled by default (on a customerā€™s account).
If you get Wi-Fi Calling, using another networks SIM in your iPhone 12, then itā€™s sounds like an issue with the iD Mobile Wi-Fi Calling service.

Itā€™s a bitĀ suspicious your iPhone 12 wouldnā€™t do Wi-Fi Calling on three and now iD - iD Mobile use the three network, soĀ might be an issue with setup of your account on this network.Ā 

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks again Andewhite Iā€™ll look at all optionsĀ 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Good luck @Andros.

Check you iPhone is setup correctly and uses iOS 11.2 or later and the carrier id value in Settings > General > About - Network Provider is 32 or higher.

In addition, the ā€œWhat is Wi-Fi Calling?ā€ community article has more about how to setup your iPhone for Wi-Fi Calling.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just a thought Andewhite. Why would my iPhone XR and previous models have worked with Wi-Fi calling on three network for the last 2 years if it was a system error at three and Id mobile thatā€™s now causing my new iPhone 12 not to have Wi-Fi calling ?Ā 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Well @Andros, I believe each iPhone model requires its own unique carrier settings.

Itā€™s the network service provider who has to manage theĀ different carrier settings, for each iPhone model.

Wi-Fi Calling is supposed to work on an iPhone 5c or later - so thereā€™s quite a few different hardware configurations involved here.

Good luck.

Ā 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just an update on my query. I visited a friend who has sky Wi-Fi immediately I got the scrolling Wi-Fi call notification and it stayed all the time I was there. The issue is with bt routers the Wi-Fi calling does not show or kick in until a call is made or received. I proved this as while I was in with bt technical the Wi-Fi calling showedĀ 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Andros, Iā€™m a bit confused.

Were you using BT Broadband, with the BT Wi-Fi router, when you had your iPhone XR with a three SIM card?

Ā 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes however never really checked to see the scrolling Wi-Fi calling logo. Unless the hub has had an update. My partner is with three but also shows no Wi-Fi calling scrolling however when I call them it kicks inĀ 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Clearly nothing to do with ID settings in my opinion. Now a happy customerĀ 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Andros, thatā€™s great to hear and thank you.

Were you thinking that iD Wi-Fi Calling was not working because Wi-Fi calling status icon was not displayed in the status bar (on the right-side) of your iPhone?Ā  Ā 

Userlevel 2
Badge

No Andewhite. It wasnā€™t scrolling on the top left hand corner of the screen but it was when I was at my friends today. So thatā€™s what led me rightly to believe itā€™s a bt hub thingĀ 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, thanks again @Andros.

Perhaps the iD (three) signal at your friends house is very bad, so bad that your iPhone can only use the iD Wi-Fi Calling service at that location.

When youā€™re at home, perhaps your iPhone detects sufficient signal strength to ā€˜thinkā€™ a normal mobile call is possible, but when an actualĀ call is received or made, your iPhone decides Wi-Fi Calling will give a better call quality, and switches to Wi-Fi Calling mode.

When youā€™re at home, if you leave your iPhoneā€™s Wi-Fi ON and turn ON Airplane Mode, does the Wi-Fi calling status icon appear?Ā 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes it does for a max of 20 mins once the mobile data is switched back on. At my friends house I have 3 to 4 bars of signal which is more than I have at home tbhĀ 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

ThanksĀ @Andros.

Good to know Wi-Fi Calling is working on your new iPhone now andĀ I hope this continues.

Ā 

Why iD Mobile?