Question

Iphone upgrade options withdrawn

• 4 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Contract expiring, got email from ID encouraging upgrade to the iPhone 14. 
Went to do the upgrade today and there are no iPhone options, just cheap phones. But if I log out and just shop as a new customer, all phones are available.

Spent an hour on chat to 2 different people and all they could say is that the system decides what upgrades each person can have, and there’s nothing they can do. For the record my credit score is immaculate (checked today) and I’ve never missed a payment so there is no reason for them to restrict my options to cheap phones.

Even more bizarrely, I was told I could open a new account and get the phone I want, but it would have a new number and they would not be able to transfer my existing number! So the only way I can get a new iPhone and keep my number is by switching to another provider. Which is what I’ll have to do.

Why would this happen, offer upgrade option then withdraw it because of some algorithm that the staff don’t understand and can’t explain at all? Why would they want to drive me away like this when I’ve been a perfect customer?!

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

I eventually got an answer after raising a complaint. ID had incorrectly and inexplicably flagged me as a “high risk” customer. They couldn’t explain how this error happened, but it was easily sorted once it was escalated to head office.

It had been very frustrating dealing with a customer service agent and them manager who refused to even consider the possibility that there was something wrong in ID’s system. I’m going to leave ID as a result of this experience - I just wanted to upgrade with them but because they wouldn’t let me I was forced to look elsewhere and saw a better offer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Iain J,

If you are looking to upgrade and are not seeing the handset that you want, it will be down to you not being eligible for them.

This may be down to the initial credit check we carried out when you first joined iD Mobile. 

You can give our Sales Team a call on 0207 1391 397 and somebody will be happy to help you out.

In regards to the experience you have had we can look into this and pass this over to the relevant team to be investigated internally.

Kash

No Kash, you are making the same mistake as all your colleagues and wrongly assuming I was ineligible because of a credit check issue. My credit score was the maximum 999 when you did the initial credit check and has stayed at that level ever since then. You all have complete confidence in a system that is evidently not perfect, ID have finally admitted that there was simply an error in their system, but the response you all give is just to follow the standard script and to disbelieve what your customer is telling you. Please learn from this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Iain J 

I’m sorry you feel this way, without having known any of the details we wouldn’t have been able to give a detailed answer based on your actual account, we would wouldn’t be able to discuss your account here on a public forum and would have taken this to private messages for further investigation. We don’t have a script here on community, we just take the information from what we can read and try to give our the best answers to possible situations that we can.

We’re glad to hear you’re in the correct spot now with your upgrade, please let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?