Solved

Is the APN/iPhone roaming issues resolved?

• 24 October 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1

I am thinking of signing up to IDmobile, but I’m travelling in two weeks to Italy, and I don’t want to be left without roaming. I have an iPhone XR, and I note that iPhone users have been having problems with APN settings.  Has this been resolved?
Thanks

icon

Best answer by andewhite 24 October 2023, 17:41

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think the issue only arises when, for whatever reason, the roaming partner network gives you an APN setting for Three UK, not iD Mobile. 

I suspect this doesn’t happen all the time, but if you’re affected then sometimes you can’t access the MOBILE DATA section in the iOS settings app, to manually correct the APN value.

Can you access the following setting at the moment here in the UK @Lucrezia?

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network

You should see settings for MOBILE DATA and MMS.

Userlevel 1

Ah, thanks for responding.

I cannot - I’m currently on EE, don’t know if that makes any difference.  There there is no Mobile Data Network option

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you got a screenshot of the Settings > Mobile Data screen on your iPhone XR?

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your help - sorry, couldn’t work out how to add text to that message!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you turn OFF Wi-Fi Calling, the “Mobile Data Network” option will appear @Lucrezia

EE do provide iOS access to this option, even when roaming.

The option is often not available at all, if you’re on the iD Mobile network though.

Userlevel 1

Ah, I’m afraid no joy - I have switched the phone off and on again, and still no Mobile Data Network option, even with Wi-Fi calling off.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

In that case, perhaps you need to contact EE for support with this iOS setting @Lucrezia

Below is a screenshot from my iPhone (using a SMARTY SIM card).

Flight mode should also be turned OFF.

Userlevel 1

Ah, thanks so much.  That’s useful to see.

I think I will leave it for now.  My current deal is much more expensive, but I can’t really risk being without data on my upcoming trip, and unless I can see here in this great community that the problem has been addressed and solved, I can’t make the switch.  Boo.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you’re thinking of switching because you like the ‘free’ EU inclusive roaming feature from iD Mobile, perhaps consider looking at SMARTY plans as well. 

SMARTY also offer ‘free’ EU inclusive roaming with their SIM plans.

Userlevel 1

Oh, good to know.  Do their plans also need access to APN settings to work??

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

So, the screenshot I just added is from my iPhone 13, with a SMARTY SIM card - it’s running iOS 16.7.1 - hopefully all makes sense.

Userlevel 1

Ah yes, thanks - I’ve looked at their community forum now, and it seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks again for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lucrezia 

We’re investigating the issue of APN settings not being changeable at any time on iOS devices.

We would recommend (if you do have issues when you are roaming) to reset your network settings while in the roaming country and connection to their network.

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?