Solved

London Underground - access issue

Userlevel 1

I received the news that iDmobile (via Three) was permitting access to the mobile network on sections of the London Underground. I have been travelling through those stations and tunnels, but every time I try to access the Three network, I am faced with a page that requires information that I do not have. I am attaching a screen shot here. Any ideas how to get rid of, or get past, this page?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 24 May 2023, 11:29

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @nnmayer,

Welcome to the Community!

This is currently only available for Three customers which means that you can’t access it through the iD Mobile network.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Thanks for this Kash - that would explain the lack of access. I have to admit that the email from iD mobile I received gave the impression that it would be open to customers of iD, not just Three. There was a line in it that said: “As Three are our network partner, this means you'll be able to use this coverage while using the tube too”. Perhaps it just isn’t in place yet.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks for this Kash - that would explain the lack of access. I have to admit that the email from iD mobile I received gave the impression that it would be open to customers of iD, not just Three. There was a line in it that said: “As Three are our network partner, this means you'll be able to use this coverage while using the tube too”. Perhaps it just isn’t in place yet.

BAI Communications was awarded a 20-year concession in June ‘21, to deliver high-speed mobile coverage across the London Underground.

Perhaps the email was referring to the work BAI are doing to provide a 4G & 5G mobile network infrastructure across the tube network, including the underground sections. 

Once operational, customers of all UK mobile networks will be able to use their handset while travelling on the tube, with a compatible handset.  

Userlevel 1

Totally agree, the email implied you could use and I tried as well hence coming here with the same question!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Surreywelsh,

Have you got a screenshot of the email (redacting any personal info).

I’ll pass on feedback internally to the Team to review.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed,

I’m assuming I received the same marketing email as Surreywelsh, here is a link to a web version of that email: iD Mobile

Hope this opens for you, but if not, let me know

Cheers

Nigel

Userlevel 1

That’s the one “As long as you have a 4G or 5G compatible phone on the iD network, and you’re at or between one of the above stations, you’ll automatically connect to the network as if you were still overground.”

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

That’s the one “As long as you have a 4G or 5G compatible phone on the iD network, and you’re at or between one of the above stations, you’ll automatically connect to the network as if you were still overground.”

BAI are installing an operational mobile network in the underground tunnels, which will be available to all UK networks. This is not the same as TfL Wi-Fi shown in the original post by @nnmayer.

Given Three UK are already turning off their 3G mobile network, a 4G/5G handset might be needed soon - Three UK plan to have 3G off by end of 2024.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nnmayer & @Surreywelsh 

In the linked email I can see the following;

“Three are rolling out 4G and 5G across the London Underground network with the aim to have full coverage by the end of 2024.”

I believe we’re awaiting Three UK to roll this out for the moment.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I believe the work is being done by BAI Communications for TfL, and all UK networks will have access to the infrastructure to provide 4G & 5G services for their customers.

Userlevel 1

There’s another message onlne from iDmobile at: Stay Connected on the London Underground. | Join the discussion, ask questions, share advice. (idmobile.co.uk)

Again, it states that access is available now at and between certain stations. I can see people working away on their mobiles on those routes, so they must be able to access the internet. So, not sure why I get that strange page asking for hard to understand information before connecting!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

There’s another message onlne from iDmobile at: Stay Connected on the London Underground. | Join the discussion, ask questions, share advice. (idmobile.co.uk)

Again, it states that access is available now at and between certain stations. I can see people working away on their mobiles on those routes, so they must be able to access the internet. So, not sure why I get that strange page asking for hard to understand information before connecting!

Your original post is for a Wi-Fi network connection to TfL station Wi-Fi. You could turn off your handset’s Wi-Fi to avoid the issue. I don’t think iD customers can use the TfL station Wi-Fi, which requires authentication based on the network SIM card.

The underground mobile network should be available across the TfL network by end of 2024.

Why iD Mobile?