Solved

Ludicrously high out-of-contract data charges

• 4 January 2023
  • 3 replies

I pay for my daughter’s phone, on which she gets 5GB data a month. For emergencies I enabled a £5 extra usage cap. Every month she uses all 5GB plus the cap. I’ve looked at the bills and I get 5120 MB included. She has used 5170 MB and that’s charged at £5. So I’m paying £5 for 50 megabytes! That’s what, a couple of songs?! I ‘assumed’ (stupid me) that the extras would be charged at a reasonable rate. As it is, I’m paying £5 extra to ID every month for effectively nothing. I have set the cap to zero and recommend other users do the same. 

(I am in a contract, title should say ‘above contract’ or something)

PS if you’re wondering why I’m called Fred Bloggs it’s because it’s the only name I could get to work - I put a dozen names in the registration box and every one said ‘Your username contains restricted text’ but didn’t tell me why - I was just using letters, or letters and numbers. 

Rant over, thanks!

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 4 January 2023, 17:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @fred bloggs,

Out of plan data usage costs £0.1024 per MB of data so this can be costly.

She can look at the following options:

Plan change to a permanent plan that provides more data that’s going to be cost effective in the long run vs £5.00 for out of plan usage

Add-ons - We offer 12-month add-ons which last 12-months, or until fully used or even 1-month add-ons that expire after 1-month or when used.

These should be better options with the former being better if she needs more data regularly.

Did you want us to PM you to look at plan change options?

Mohammed

Yep, understood, thanks. No I have no intention of paying more for her phone contract. I just wonder how many other people have been caught out with this, I’ve been paying the £5 for months. That seems very expensive considering the complex, data intensive websites and apps we use these days. A great way for ID to make a ton of money out of its unwitting customers.
I would click the ‘most helpful’ button but there isn’t one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @fred bloggs,

All UK networks charge out of plan usage rates on contract agreements.

We do send a text whe 80% and 100% of usage is used and the 100% usage text confirms the rates applicable.

We also allow capping up to £0.00 to prevent any out of plan usage once allowances have been used.

I can see the topic was created as a conversation so I’ve converted this to a question.

The Most Helpful option should now be showing which I’ve marked.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?