Solved

Mifi 4g router SIM issue when in France

• 15 April 2024
  • 9 replies

The iD SIM card works well in a 'mifi' portable 4g router here in the UK but it won't work in France. I've tried various APN permutations logging into it via my laptop but it won't work. It does work in France however on my phone.

Any ideas anyone?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 15 April 2024, 21:25

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you tried using an APN value of “id” (lowercase), @Mark Stanfield?  

Yes. I noticed that had been posted here and that worked in my phone but not in the mifi router when in France.

Mifi router works okay in the UK with the same SIM card & APN settings!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @Mark Stanfield, iD Mobile say their SIM cards are ONLY supported for use in a mobile phone. 

That said, perhaps forcing your MiFi device to use one of the iD network partners might work. The French roaming partner networks are supposed to be Orange, Free Mobile, and BYTEL or BOUYGTEL. 

A final thought - is data roaming enabled in your MiFi device, and for the iD account of the SIM being used in the router - I assume so, otherwise it wouldn't work in a phone.

Yes the SIM works in the phone when roaming in France.

Could the iD SIM have been programmed to not work in the Mifi only when roaming? It works in the Mifi at home in UK and in the phone wherever I am. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes the SIM works in the phone when roaming in France.

Could the iD SIM have been programmed to not work in the Mifi only when roaming? It works in the Mifi at home in UK and in the phone wherever I am. 

Seems unlikely, @Mark Stanfield

However, your MiFi router might be network locked to the Three UK network, which could explain why it doesn’t work in France, whereas the iD SIM card, from the router, works in France in an unlocked handset. 

That's possible... My other 'Lebara' SIM works fine in my phone anywhere but won't work in the Mifi in the UK nor in France. Lebara uses Vodafone network at home in UK. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Mark Stanfield,

It sounds like the router may not be compatible with the iD Mobile SIM.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kash

The router works in the UK with the same SIM and the SIM also works in France in my phone but not in the router...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Mark Stanfield 

Sorry to hear that, as mentioned the router may not be compatible with the iD Mobile SIM, we don’t officially support any routers for usage with iD Mobile SIM cards.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?