Misleading upgrade process

• 7 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Since I cannot email the Complaints Department I thought I’d post it here :

I received the monthly ID newsletter on the 6th February, which had a link for exclusive pay monthly deals for existing customers (which it transpires are actually available to anyone). I followed the link and chose SIM deals. I saw that I could upgrade from 6gb/month to 8gb/month for the same price, so clicked on 'Choose this plan'.

I followed the process through to completion. Since I had upgraded in the past I was not surprised that a new SIM was being sent. However, on the 7th February I received an email with the subject 'Welcome to iD. Let's get started' and this caused me to dig deeper. Amongst other things that rang alarm bells it suggested I would get a new phone number.

I used the online chat to try and find out what was happening, and it transpired that rather than an upgrade, a new (second) account had been set up. It took me quite a long time to get the agent to understand what had happened. He had no clue how it had happened. However he did managed to apply the upgrade to my existing number. He then transferred me to anther team to cancel the new contract that I didn't want or even knew I had requested.

This agent was also slow to catch on although he did actually managed to do what I needed. Hopefully I won't have to contact ID again with regard to this issue.

This whole process took at least 30 minutes of my time. If I had been able to speak to an agent who was fully trained I am sure it would have taken no more than 5 minutes. I understand how using web chat is cost effective for companies, but it only works if the agents are fully competent and understand quickly what the customer's problem is.

It would also be helpful if the team that create the emails and links through to the website actually tested it properly before release.

If someone at ID actually reads this, please pass my comments on to whoever can make a difference.

Thank you!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @pottersj,

Welcome to the Community!

We are sorry to hear the issues with your upgrade.

When upgrading or changing plan we would advise that you select the upgrade option via your account.

If you don’t follow the upgrade option it’s likely that you will purchase a new contract.

However I’m glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

If you would like us to raise a complaint here, please let us know and we can PM you.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi Kash

Thanks for your helpful response. Usually these days when you click on a link to a company website where you have an account in a personalised email it logs you in automatically.

Since this one did not, the link should have taken me to the log in page, or made it very clear that I needed to log in first to do an upgrade.

Please pass this on to the team responsible for creating the emails.

Thanks and regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @pottersj,

Thanks for your feedback.

We’ll certainly take this feedback onboard and hopefully provide a better experience for you in the future.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @pottersj,

Welcome to the Community!

We are sorry to hear the issues with your upgrade.

When upgrading or changing plan we would advise that you select the upgrade option via your account.

If you don’t follow the upgrade option it’s likely that you will purchase a new contract.

However I’m glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

If you would like us to raise a complaint here, please let us know and we can PM you.

Kash

Your upgrade options are misleading too. For example I can see this banner on my account

Samsung S24, right?

Guess what happens when I click on it? This;

No Samsung S24 and I have 2 months left till the end of my contract. I am sure your marketing team could have done much better with upgrades, but as per your the insider information the money allocated for new contracts are much more than for retaining the existing customers. So, the company is interested in “growth” only via new customers, but that is a fallacy IMHO. 

P.S. I want to stay with IDMobile, but interested in deals which are available to anyone else at Phone Contracts & Pay Monthly Deals | iD Mobile, but existing customers who are close to the end of their contracts. Why don’t you offer AT LEAST the same offers, or sweeten it a bit and offer a tiny bit discount now before the April hikes then raise it back in April again?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @iliko, is it worth buying a SIM free Galaxy S24 online directly from Samsung, and take advantage of their 0% APR over 24-months? 

If you turn your iD Mobile contract into a SIM only deal at end-of-term, you’ll also avoid future annual price increases.

Userlevel 1

Hey @iliko, is it worth buying a SIM free Galaxy S24 online directly from Samsung, and take advantage of their 0% APR over 24-months? 

If you turn your iD Mobile contract into a SIM only deal at end-of-term, you’ll also avoid future annual price increases.

Appreciate this and the purpose of my reply was to help ID Mobile too, not just us - consumers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @iliko 

Sorry to see this, have you called the sales team on 0207 1391 397 to see if they can assist with a deal on your desired device?

It is possible that the app is showing an offer that you may not be eligible for, which we can only apologize for.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?