Mobile becomes brick within 15 hours of an unauthorised PAC request

• 29 April 2024
  • 4 replies

It has happened again (the first time unsuccesful!)  this time the perp.  succeeded in getting my number and closing my account!!

Fraudulent activity - unauthorised PAC request
I no longer have access to my phone (it is now a brick!)as someone has hacked it and my original account has been removed. 

Sequence of events:

Wednesday 24th 5:29pm
SMS received stating my PAC ***** expires on the 25th.

I had not requested any changes, and did not see this message until the next day along with another message that showed the change had been made

Thursday 25th 8:05am
...weve received your switch request from your new network...

I only found out there was an issue when I attempted to make a transaction using my mobile and nothing happened.  Then found it impossible to call out and my wife tried calling me only to be met with a message that it has not been possible to transfer your call.

I cannot for the life of me understand how such a change can be made so quickly and the account breached so successfully by hackers.  This phone is generally only used for emergencies and contact for family and friends.  Personal details only known to me other than email address.

I did contact customer services later that day by the online chat method (appears to be the only way) and after confirmation of who I am including quoting the PAC the agent said that there was nothing she could due to the fact that my number had already been ported to Vodafone.  However, she would pass this on to ID Technical people and they should be able to resolve this and return my number.  This may take up to 48 hours and should this not happen I would need to contact ID again.

Reading previous threads here I am concerned that this may not be the case and would like some assurances that my number can be reinstated to my account.

I also feel strongly that there is not enough security in place to help prevent this type of occurence. 

Surely just providing a mobile number should not be enough nor sending an SMS message that may or may not be seen before changes are made - as can be seen by this case where account closed and number ported within a 15 hour timescale! 

Many companies now use 2 factor authentication as a more secure method that will at least allow a victim a chance of responding.  So is there any better way for me to secure my account, perhaps I am missing something?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Tony Beamish 

Sorry to hear this, I can see we’ve already PM’d you about this and will respond there when possible.

If you’re already in contact with another team we’d recommend keeping contact with one team at a time.

Tom

Finally today my mobile number has been returned and all seems normal.😉😁.  A BIG thanks to those involved

FWIW for others that may experience similar there does seem to be a lack of communication between departments and also to me as a customer that had a problem and received a SIM without request or instructions.

• Initially my contact was via the online chat service about 2 weeks ago.  At that time I was told that the PAC had been used and the number ported to Vodafone.  But not to worry as I proved my identity the tech support team would sort it out and should take about 48 hours.  If longer contact again!
  • Not hearing anything after about 72 hours I tried again online chat. This time to be told that there was no record of my previous chat and in any case the number had not been ported until that day.
  • I then used the community here and had a couple of mails to confirm who I am etc but heard no more than CEO were to be informed
  • In the meantime an ID SIM was sent to my address with no instructions and no clue if it was a new number that I did not want or somehow my original number.  Enquiry about what the SIM was did not get a response - until today
  • I spoke to a lady representative today using the online chat method who told me that it is not possible to see any record of previous chats period!  Goes against what I was told above so who knows what the real situation is.  I would advise anyone going through this to save a transcript of the conversation just in case.
  • She also properly advised me about the SIM I was sent.  The card needed registering with ID, which she did online and after waiting for about an hour my mobile back up and working. YAY.

Thank you Nosipho,  my assumption is I was talking to a lady but if I am wrong please accept my apologies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Tony Beamish,

Sorry to hear about the issues you experienced.

Thanks for getting back to us and providing your feedback as it allows us to improve services in the future.

Can you advise that this is resolved now?

Kash

Hi Kash

Yes, this is now resolved.

Tony

Why iD Mobile?