Question

New customer - 5G connection

• 30 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi

I’ve just moved from EE to IDMobile and I was getting over 100mbps on my phone in my house sitting at my desk.

I’ve just popped in the IDMobile SIM and set it all up and I’m only getting 4G and 24mbps.

I Would expect it to be the same speed and coverage as EE in general...anyone else have this issue? 

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Mark Hayter, in an ideal world you’d get the same signal reception and service with each mobile network service provider at any given location.

Unfortunately, each UK mobile network operators using different numbers of cell towers, different backhaul networks, using different parts of the radio frequency spectrum reserved for mobile networks, different numbers of users connected to any given tower at any given time, et cetera, et cetera.

Did you choose iD Mobile because they were cheaper than EE? 

Is there 5G coverage at your postcode on the Three UK network (iD Mobile’s network partner)?

HI

Yeah I chose ID Mobile due to price...thinking that the 5g networks would basically be the same...but it looks like 5g for this network just doesn’t cover my area (even though the map says it does).

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately, I believe most online coverage checkers only show theoretical coverage (based on computer modelling), at any given location. 

Actual coverage can be better, or worse, at any given location, than the predicted coverage.

Real-world coverage details are available online at https://mastdata.com.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Mark Hayter 

Sorry to hear the coverage isn’t quite what you expected, please could you let us know the postcode where you’re having issues?

Tom

Hi Tom

SS8 9HA

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Mark Hayter 

Thanks, taking a look the postcode is not rated for our 5G signal, therefore we’d recommend a 4G signal.

It also appears that there’s an outage in the area that Three UK are aware of and working on, are you having issues accessing the services themselves?

How long have you had these issues?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?