Question

New to ID. Sim activated but old number not ported correctly

• 1 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi.

I raised a request online, on Saturday, to port my old number over to my new sim. The old sim stopped working this morning, but the new sim, although working, is still using the new number in iMessage etc.

I have tried the suggestions on related community posts, to no avail. The iphone simply won’t allow me to change the number as suggested, nor will it validate it. This suggests an issue with the process of porting my old number over. Could someone from Id please look into this issue for me?

Regards,

Travis

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @tjh_84,

Sorry to hear about your issue. Sometimes the port isn’t completed until 10pm on the day of your port.

I had a similar problem getting my number registered properly with iMessage and FaceTime when I ported over to iD Mobile.

Assuming when you call someone, your ported number is displayed in the Caller ID, I suggest the following (which worked for me):

1. Turn OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages) and turn OFF FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  2. Turn OFF your iPhone - leave it OFF for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Turn ON your iPhone.
  4. Tap Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT and confirm the correct mobile number is shown. If it's not correct, use the Edit option to "Add email or phone number".
  5. Turn ON iMessage (Settings > Messages) and turn ON FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  6. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed against “Start new conversations from:” - if not select the correct number.

Step 2 above is really important - anyway, good luck.

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately this doesn’t appear to have worked, and my iphone seems to be in a muddle. Probably due to previous attempts to update ‘Settings > Phone > My Number’.

Following the above steps, my new number still exists in ‘Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT’. Upon trying to add my old number here, the verification message is not received, so it cannot be added.

Oddly, activation of iMessage and Facetime then fails. Peculiarly under ‘send and receive’ in these sections, it still references my old number, rather than the new one.

Not really sure how to resolve this now, as, even on the new number, I cannot get iMessage or Facetime to activate. 

I’d consider trying to request the port of my old number again, but the app currently won’t permit this.

Regards,

Travis

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @tjh_84, the PAC is single use only.

If you call someone now using your mobile, what number do they see?

Is it your ported number, or the number you got when you joined iD Mobile?

Thanks.

Ok, so I just made a call and the recipient has reported that it came through on the ported number.

This does point to an issue with the iPhone, and iMessage / Facetime, which I currently can’t get working.

Regards,

Travis

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @tjh_84, at least the port has been completed.

If you got a new iPhone when you joined iD Mobile, your old device my still be registered with Apple as using the number you ported.

If you have two devices registered with Apple, which both have the same mobile number, there’s likely to be a problem. Is this the case here?

This is not a new iPhone, no, and the only other device I have registered is a mac book. My apple id is my email address, so hopefully that makes things less complicated.

I had MMS messaging disabled which seems to have prevented me receiving my validation code via text for step 2 in your initial response, unless something else has changed since. I’ve managed to add my ported number to ‘Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT’ now, and so I will attempt your suggested solution again, and see if that now works.

Cheers

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I had MMS messaging disabled which seems to have prevented me receiving my validation code via text for step 2 in your initial response, unless something else has changed since. I’ve managed to add my ported number to ‘Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT’ now, and so I will attempt your suggested solution again, and see if that now works.

Cheers

Okay @tjh_84 - fingers-crossed and good luck!

Thanks for your time and help @andewhite.

Having reset my network settings, ‘Settings > Phone > My Number’ now displays the ported number, and normal SMS messages now appear to recipients as being from my ported number. So all is fine it seems regarding the port.

My only issue now is being unable to activate iMessage and Facetime, but I’ll look for answers to that elsewhere.

Regards,

Travis

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @tjh_84, one way to try and activate iMessage and FaceTime is sign-out from your Apple ID on your iPhone. 

After you sign-out, wait a few minutes before you sign-in again (with your Apple ID) - hopefully that’ll be sufficient to activate the iMessage and FaceTime services.

Otherwise, you may need to contact Apple Support.

Anyway, good luck.

Why iD Mobile?