No viable upgrade path

• 18 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Not a happy customer.

ID mobile upgrade policy is forcing me to look elsewhere.

I’m not one for upgrading my phone at every new series launch, so if my mobile is still working, I’ll change it every 3-4 years, so after the usual 24mth contract, I’ll switch to a sim only deal & then upgrade at will.

Now the time is here to upgrade, the best handset ID can offer me is a Samsung A25.

My only downfall was by taking sim only deals from ID mobile.

ID are confident & happy to sell me a new contract on any handset (S24 or Pixel 8) resulting in me loosing my current mobile number. (loosing phone number is not acceptable)

But there is no upgrade path to a quality handset while retaining my current phone number. (as per live chat)

Live chat suggested porting my number away to another provider for a month > then porting it back, 

not a chance I’m doing that.

ID keeping costs at a reasonable level, only providing online support via automated systems is all well & good, but the human interaction & common sense is surely missed here.

The lack of IPv6 support is manageable, but loosing my longtime phone number is NOT

If the only option of upgrading to my preferred handset whilst retaining my number is by moving to another provider, that is what I'll do, 

but I won’t be returning.

Tom

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Just a heads up that IPv6 is being now being rolled out by THREE. I can confirm that IPv6 works on the SMARTY network and so it will likely work for iD Mobile customers too. I am now assigned both an IPv4 and IPv6 address. It's being switching on mast by mast so you should automatically receive this service in the near future if you haven't already benefited from it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @TomThumb,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately it you aren’t eligible for the handset you want you won’t see it in your upgrade options.

As the team advised the other option is to take out a new contract but it would be subject to a credit check.

Upgrade deals do change so it may be worth keeping an eye out or giving our Sales Team a call.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Cheers @Kash  

Altho taking on a new contract & phone would be easy enough to accomplish.

I'm not going that route due to loosing my long term mobile number. That is unacceptable.

ID’s policy on account management, needing a separate account for each contract, 

results in the family members who feel the need to upgrade to the latest handset at contract end are not restricted in any such way, even tho it’s me footing the bill.

Me on the other hand, who of late, only needs an upgrade when my handset is not working as intended, is being penalised / restricted when I choose to do so.

ID’s policy of any upgrade

That depends on your current plan, your credit rating, and also what we've got available” 

Has solely been based on my personal plan.

Not what I would have expected from ID mobile.

Tom…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TomThumb 

I’m sorry you feel that way about your upgrade, this is standard across all plans, we can only offer you what is available and what you are eligible for credit wise.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @TomThumb 

I’m sorry you feel that way about your upgrade, this is standard across all plans, we can only offer you what is available and what you are eligible for credit wise.

Tom

Unfortunately this is a case of the “Computer says NO” 

Based on your mentioned criteria of “what is available and what you are available for credit wise” 
is as far from the truth as you could get.

if the best handset on offer via an upgrade is an A25,  your CRM / ERP data fields are clearly lacking.

Tom…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TomThumb 

Sorry to see you don’t believe my message, there wouldn’t be anything else I can say beyond that, if you choose to believe it or not is up to yourself.

Tom

Userlevel 1

@Tom as your previous message stated that upgrade options are based on the criteria of 

That depends on your current plan, your credit rating, and also what we've got available” 

I  do believe that is a quote from company policy.

So with the entire statement being correct in its portrayal as it is quoted in the page’s of ID mobile,

the reality is somewhat different, so asking for it to be looked into by customer service, would have been the obvious next step.

Alas!

A customer service agent such as yourself quoting company policy is all well & good in the right circumstances or situation.

But quoting company policy in the first instance!

a: Not checking my account for any errors.

b: Not even pointing me towards any department who have the tools or authority to look into my account & possibly reach a resolve.

c: Refuting my concerns point blank.

Your thoughts?

Tom…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TomThumb 

I’m not really sure what you’d like me to say here, if I could offer everyone the device they want when they wish to purchase with us I would, but that’s not something I can do, if the device isn’t available to you and the sales team can’t also offer it to you that’s unfortunately the end of the story. You aren’t eligible for a device, there’s not much more to it.

You’ve checked you’re iD Mobile app/website for upgrades, the sales team has already been suggested (the number for them being 0207 1391 397), there wouldn’t be anything else to suggest, I’m sorry this likely isn’t the answer you wanted to hear, but it’s the only answer I can provide.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?