Question

old number seen on sms messages

• 28 February 2022
  • 4 replies

So I bought a new phone and transferred my old number over. However, when I text my husband he sees it coming from the original number that the new phone came with rather than my old number. How do I fix this? 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Emma Thorpe,

If you bought a new iPhone, then ported a number to iD Mobile try the following:

1. Turn OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages) and turn OFF FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  2. Turn OFF your iPhone - leave it OFF for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Turn ON your iPhone.
  4. Tap Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT and confirm the correct mobile number is shown. If it's not correct, use the Edit option to "Add email or phone number".
  5. Turn ON iMessage (Settings > Messages) and turn ON FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  6. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed against “Start new conversations from:” - if not select the correct number.

Good luck.

This is no good for me as I had a Samsung and have bought at Oppo Lite so nothing to do with iPhones. My husband has a Samsung too. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Emma Thorpe

For Android devices, I recommend reading the following online support topics by Google:

1. Chat features by Google FAQ article
  2. How to turn chat features off article

If you started using Messages by Google (with chat features turned ON) when you had the number you didn’t want to keep, this might explain the issue.

Anyway, hopefully this information helps - good luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is no good for me as I had a Samsung and have bought at Oppo Lite so nothing to do with iPhones. My husband has a Samsung too. 

Hey @Emma Thorpe,

As above, it’ll be down to Chat Features.

Try turning this off and then back on again and restarting the phone inbetween.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?