Solved

Open Data policy for Existing Contract

• 19 October 2022
  • 5 replies

I have a 24 month unlimited data contract which I took out 29/9/20 so the 24 months has just ended.  I do a lot of roaming in the EU so I am concerned about extra charges under the “open data” policy if I change my contract

1.  If I keep my existing contract, will I be exempt from the “open data” charges for roaming?
  2. If I change to a new contract, will the “open data” charges start to apply?

Thanks in advance for any answers

icon

Best answer by andewhite 20 October 2022, 12:16

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The fair usage & open data policy means that whatever you do, your unlimited UK data allowance is limited when you roam in the EU.

Visit https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy and scroll down to the “Open data policy” section to work out your plan’s data allowance.

Good luck @Jasmin22.  

Hello

I'm sure you are very busy but that is not the question I was asking. I had already read the open data policy before posting my question. 

My question is about  contracts taken out BEFORE your open data policy came into place. As I explained, I took out my 24 month contract on 29/9/20 so the 24 month minimum period has just ended. 

1.  If I keep my existing contract, will I be exempt from the “open data” charges for roaming?
  2. If I change to a new contract, will the “open data” charges start to apply?

I would be very grateful for an answer to these actual questions as they are NOT answered in the open data policy 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Jasmin22, sorry I’ve misunderstood your “open data” questions.

This is a public forum where iD users try and help one another.

All iD contracts/plans have a set of terms & conditions, which always reference iD Mobile’s fair usage & open data policies - see https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy.

I think the answer to 1) and 2) is that iD’s open data policy is applicable in both cases, for inclusive EU roaming. If you exceed the inclusive EU roaming fair use data allowance for your plan, surcharges will apply.

The “Fair usage & open data policies” page has an online calculator to help work out the inclusive EU roaming data allowance for your plan. If you exceed your monthly EU roaming data allowance, you’ll pay for any data beyond your plan’s EU roaming data allowance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jasmin22 

@andewhite has pretty much summed up all we’d say on this one, the fair usage policy is a policy mentioned in the terms and conditions.

As you mention your contract began 29/09/20 you’d be subject to the terms and conditions set at that time which is the policy set from July 1st 2019 through to 3rd May 2021.

This means your contract is subject to the Fair Usage policy and any contract beginning now would be the same. We have no plans to change this.

Tom

Thank you for the reply Tom.  You don’t directly say whether or not someone who keeps their existing old contract would be exempt from extra charges under the “open data” policy which is what I really wanted to know.

However, I have checked the terms and conditions applicable to my existing contract and they talk just about fair use (not any extra “open data”charges).

When I check the terms and conditions which would apply if I took out a new contract, they now include new wording which says “If your EU Roaming use exceeds the EU Roaming Data Allowance (RDA), we may apply a surcharge of £0.25 per MB of data use beyond the RDA”

So my conclusion is that if I keep my old contract, I would not be subject to the extra “open data”charges as these are not part of my old contract’s terms and conditions.

Thank you everyone for helping me get to the answer eventually!

Why iD Mobile?