Solved

Order accepted through Carphone warehouse, but reduced to sim only?

• 6 November 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I ordered a pay monthly phone and Tariff yesterday, and received the following email a few hours later? 
The order you placed through www.carphonewarehouse.com has been accepted by the iD Mobile network, however not for the chosen handset and tariff combination that you have ordered. The network would be willing at this time to offer you one of their great sim only packages.

Any reason why this would happen? I have checked my credit score with multiple services (Clearscore, money supermarket, Experian) and all have me as excellent, I have no long term debt, no missed payments, I am employed and earn decent money, so what gives?

icon

Best answer by rypersg 9 November 2023, 00:57

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps best to ask Carphone Warehouse about this @rypersg

Although iD and Carphone are owned by Currys, they appear to be operated as independent businesses. I think iD Mobile use Equifax as their credit reference agency, but maybe the creditworthiness check is just one part of their assessment.

The following forum article is for buying through the iD Mobile web site.

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite 
Yeah I checked with Carphone warehouse, their response was “we don’t have that information”, as iD mobile have their own assessment, so they in essence suggested I check with iD mobile.

If iD use equifax, again my score is excellent.. Unless there is some form of crossed wire somewhere I am stumped. There is also no soft or hard searches listed with any of the credit reference agencies, so this all makes no sense. 

Of course my worry now, I also likely cannot order directly through iD for 3 months due to the failed order through carphone warehouse.

Thank you for the information, I was naturally wondering who they used for Credit checks. Had to be either Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, looks like Equifax!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you still wish to use iD Mobile, perhaps get a PAYG iD SIM card, purchase a bundle and set the bundle to auto-renew. Effectively, this give you the equivalent of pay-monthly contract, but without any credit checks. 

If you wanted a iD handset contract + line rental, you may need to look elsewhere.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite I have just been reading though a community page full of people having this exact problem! It appears the identification and credit check system iD use is a bit of a nightmare.

From my side, there is nothing I can do differently to change the outcome of the scenario. I can only fill in details as per what I know are correct. My credit scores are excellent with all the major players (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion), I am employed as a professional, earn good money, the details on my application match the data held by reference agencies, I don’t have loads of credit cards, I am on paper a safe bet! 

I guess I will just stay and upgrade with my current provider and iD can lose business. Would of been nice to figure out where the problem arises, but I guess I would just be chasing my tail. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps there aren’t any businesses prepared to tell you why their credit / security checks failed, and probably every business does this differently - all I can suggest is an address mismatch somewhere, or perhaps not being on the electoral register. 

If you’re not already using the Three UK mobile network, switching to iD Mobile could mean your coverage is not as good as with your existing service provider. None of the online coverage checkers show real-world coverage, only theoretical predictions of reception at any given location.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite 

You’re probably right! Without the reason being made clear it would be guesswork, so I think rather than risk negatively impacting my credit score, I will stick to the safety of my current provider. Hey ho, on we go! Thanks for the advice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @rypersg,

Welcome to the Community!

Credit checks are based on multiple factors.

As @andewhite advised we can’t provide a specific reason for a credit check failing.

Kash

Userlevel 1

@Kash

I checked with my credit reference agency information yesterday, I think I see the issue! there's a credit check utilising my old  address only (I left 9 years ago), but nothing referencing my current address, so it looks like the credit check gave incorrect (old) address information. Matters not, I have arranged via a different provider and as expected, no issues. 

Cheers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @rypersg,

Glad to hear that you got to the bottom of it.

Please get back to us if you require further assistance.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?