Question

OTP vreification code not received from Banks after porting my number in

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I am frustrated by the fact I am not be able to receive verification code / OTP from banks, however, I can get normal SMS from individuals or text questionnaires, for example from Currys. 

Handset: Google Pixel 8 pro

Timeline:

8th April 2024

Porting number was scheduled on 8th April, and it is completed at mid-day. Having tested immediately, it works all good as treat, I had one Bank app migrated with OTP code received. So, I thought it was excellent, and decided to do the rest migration in the evening after work.  

In the evening, about 5 or 6pm, the SMS messaging service became weird when I tried to migrated other bank apps over. I have no longer received OTP code at all. Then, I found if my family text me, the SMS will be landed onto my old phone with the old service provider, if I sent SMS to my family, they will see the SMS from my iD temp number, not the number being ported in! all messed up!

9th April 2024

Spent a lot of time on the Chat with iD support people, gone through all kind of settings, restart many times. Also, called my previous service provider, and they confirmed my account has been closed as the porting completed.

iD support told me to wait for 24 ~ 48 hours!

At the the end of day, my old phone with the old SIM was no longer received any SMS, and my family can receive SMS from me and display the correct phone number, however, I still could not get OTP and any verification code from Banks! At this point, I noticed that my Google message app, RCS chat settings, was always hooked back to the iD temp phone number, just unable to verified my correct phone number. 

So, contact iD chat again, I was told to go to Currys!

10th April 2024

OTP message problem is still persisted. I went to local Currys at lunch time, A young guy was happily trying to help me out for the best of half hour, going through all kind of Google account settings, clear cache,  Eventually, he managed to get my Google message app verified my correct number for RCS.

But, I was still unable to get OTP code from Banks! Currys guy runs out ideas.

So, got home, switched off the new phone, took the SIM out from both new and old phone, through the night.

11th April 2024 -- today

turn on the new phone with new SIM, tried again as writing, still not receive OTP code from Banks. It is out of 24 - 48 hours range now. I feel either iD end filter out those messages, or something not be done properly on iD network part for me.

Please help! 

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe linked to the RCS “Chat features” of the Google Messages app, @Nan888.

Google might still have the mobile number you wanted to keep linked to another device, and not your Pixel 8 Pro.

Does everything work properly with RCS “Chat features” turned OFF? 

Userlevel 1

Thank for your reply @andewhite 

regardless RCS is on or off, I was unable to receive OTP code from banks, it doesn’t make any difference at all!

I have never given the iD temp number to Google. I have disabled the old device from Google account already, it doesn’t make any difference at all!

I have even download the Microsoft message app, and disable the google one, but, that doesn’t make any difference at all!

So, therefore, my conclusion is, this is something to do with the mobile network, or setup from provider iD end, not from my device or google account. Google account has nothing to do with mobile network, am I right?

Userlevel 1

had a chat with the iD support, I am told this has been passed on to the technical team, but, there is no update from them. So, provide update and two examples of dates and times when I tried OTP for Banks, for technical guys to check.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Might not be a good idea to hold-your-breath waiting for the iD technical team to respond, @Nan888

Sadly, my experience has been they don’t normally get in-touch, nor get things fixed.

Have you tried: 

1. Go to: https://messages.google.com/disable-chat, where you should be able to unregister the number.
  2. After verification by Google, turn off the Chat Features/RCS and the phone.
  3. Wait 15-minutes and turn the phone on and re-enable Chat Features/RCS - it should let you re-register/update your new device with the correct number.

Userlevel 1

thanks, Andewhite,

“Sadly, my experience has been they don’t normally get in-touch.” That is not good enough! I don’t expect them to get in-touch, but they need to fix issues.

This seems a common issue, so common, it seems happened to almost every porting user here every day. Should somebody in iD to write a piece of document and provide a procedure and troubleshooting with solution for making everybody’s life easier?!

Secondly, are you sure RCS is something to do with Bank’s OTP code? it is not everybody using smart phone, neither everybody use RCS. It is SMS OTP, isn’t it? I am not expert on telecommunication, but, I should receive OTP code regardless RCS, as long as my SMS is working.

I have followed your steps again, sadly, it doesn’t work! Although, as mentioned in my timeline, this has been sorted and went through by the Currys guy.

I can’t believe, it is so frustrated!

Userlevel 1

okay, if this is not resolved by tomorrow, I am going to return my new phone back and cancel the contract.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Nan888,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

If you require further assistance, please let us know and we can PM you.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Thanks, was told fixed by technical team on last Friday, but, it was not. However, I started receiving OTP code from banks on Monday, yesterday. It seems it takes a whole week. So, perhaps to set the right expectations to your customers.

For other new users in the same boat, just sit and wait.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Nan888 

Sorry to hear the experience wasn't quite what we'd like, however glad to hear you're back up and running with OTPs.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Tom no worries. however, I still don’t receive OTP from TESCO bank, if you could help on that, it would be much appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Nan888 

Is it just Tesco Bank you’re not receiving OTP codes from?

Other services are fine?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?