Solved

Phone not Delivered - Ordered 8.7.23 - Norfolk

Userlevel 1

I'm really hoping someone can help, I'm at a total loss of what to do and the situation is really starting to upset me. ALSO if this situation sounds like something you're going through/have been through in the past please let me know, as I'm trying to build a picture of a pattern of failed deliveries/mistakes by DPD in order to build a formal complaint, especially if they were recent or local to me (see title of post).

I ordered a Pixel 7 phone and ID Mobile SIM card via the Carphone Warehouse website on 8.7.23, it was due to come 10.7.23 but a parcel was actually delivered by DPD a day earlier on 9.7.23.

Inside the parcel was the SIM Card that I ordered but the phone was missing, and instead inside my package was a pair of Apple AirPods. In the 2 weeks since DPD opened an investigation, closed it, then reopened it, and have now closed it again, an email I got from Currys this evening says: 

"Please be advised that we received feedback from DPD and unfortunately we will not be able to follow our goods not received process as DPD have rejected the investigation.
DPD have advised that the parcel was delivered correctly with no damages and intact."

I don't see how they can say this when not only was my phone missing from my parcel but a totally incorrect item was in there instead. I did provide them with photos to prove what was inside and the delivery photo from DOD to show the package at my door.

I'm really worried about what this means financially as I paid for the up front cost of this phone and am going to be billed the monthly contract for it, Currys/Carphone Warehouse seem like they've totally washed their hands of me this evening and are now telling me it's a civil matter between me and DPD, but it's clear DPD are lying about the phone being delivered correctly, because it wasn't delivered at all.

What's more, I went to my local Currys earlier today and they told me they were aware of a similar pattern of customers being delivered the wrong items over the same few days as my parcel was delivered, and their local DPD driver admitted to them that there had been a problem at their packing warehouse or somewhere, where parcels were broken open and put back incorrectly. Currys in store staff know about this, but when I tell customer service, they seem happy to just let me struggle on my own.

I don't know... I've been through a lot these past few weeks with various hospital visits and this isn't helping my recovery in the slightest! Money is tight and so to spend hundreds of pounds on a phone/contract/accompanying accessories, only to have no actual phone to show for it - rendering everything else pointless, seems incredibly unfair. I'm using the new SIM Card in my old dodgy phone, but that's it.

Any advice welcome, either how I handle this situation, what I do financially to limit my losses, who I can speak to... I'd really appreciate anything. Thank you so much for your help.

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 24 July 2023, 23:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You have no contract with DPD and you shouldn't be the one dealing with them and/or any investigation they deem necessary. iD Mobile is their customer and any agreement/contract is between them! You need to report the phone as stolen to the police/action fraud and let iD Mobile know and so they can chase DPD. If iD mobile fails to rectify the problem, then take iD Mobile to small claims and provide the crime reference number and any additional evidence such as packaging/wrong items received.

It’s worth noting here that iD Mobile has failed to provide you with the product and service that you ordered and so, should you need to file a claim against them, then it will be for the full value of the contact and any up front cost for the handset. You can also add the filing fee to the claim total! So, for example, had you signed up to a 24 month contract at £10 per month with an up front fee of £49.99 for the handset then you can file a claim for £339.99 (includes £50.00 fee)

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

For what it’s worth… I always refuse delivery of any parcels that look like they were tampered with, resealed or damaged. Also, I always film myself unboxing any parcels that contain expensive items. Should something like this happen to me, then I have video evidence which will help should I need to file a small claims.

Userlevel 1

@WelshPaul thank you so much for such a quick reply, I appreciate it 😊 Do you think it is ID Mobile I need to contact, as the contract/SIM card is with them, even though I bought it through the Carphone Warehouse website? I know ultimately they are all owned by Currys anyway, who I've been in contact with since this all happened and despite saying sorry again and again have done nothing to help...

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You will need to file a claim against Carphone Warehouse. If they have concluded their investigation, then I would start initiating a claim right away. You need to send a letter before claim (sometimes known as a ‘letter before action‘) putting Carphone Warehouse on notice that you intend to take court proceedings against them.

I would add £200 to the £339.99 total for damages due to stress and the additional hassle of having to file a claim etc. While it’s unlikely the judge will award you the full £200, he/she will award you some of it.

It’s all online now too, so easy to file etc. You just need to put your evidence together and provide the claimant with a notice of action giving them the opportunity to resolve the matter first.

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much for all this, I've no idea how old you are but this is exactly the kind of advice I wish my parents were around to give me! I'll look into all this tomorrow and might get in touch again if that's ok... just if I have any questions. I'm incredibly grateful for your help, I was getting a bit upset about it all this evening and hopefully now I'll get some sleep!

Userlevel 1

Hi, I'm having issues as my phone was missing from my DPD delivery but frustratingly DPD have rejected the investigation, and I don't know what to do.

I'm worried as I've already been charged the up front cost of my phone and it feels like ID are going to be forced to pay for the contract... Even though I have no phone to show for it.

Apparently (according to stay at my local Currys) in my area there have been lots of cases of the same thing happening and I'm trying to build a case to contact the financial ombudsman, Trading Standards, Ofcom etc. It's been an incredibly stressful process but DPD are claiming they delivered the parcel in full and untampered, which simply can't be true as my phone wasn't delivered at all. How did you deal with your issues?

​​​​I'm in Norfolk and my phone was meant to come 10.7.23, if either of those are similar to you please let me know as I'm trying to build a picture of anyone else in the same boat as be in order to make a formal complaint.

Userlevel 1

Hi, I'm having issues as my phone was missing from my DPD delivery but frustratingly DPD have rejected the investigation, and I don't know what to do.

I'm worried as I've already been charged the up front cost of my phone and it feels like ID are going to be forced to pay for the contract... Even though I have no phone to show for it.

Apparently (according to stay at my local Currys) in my area there have been lots of cases of the same thing happening and I'm trying to build a case to contact the financial ombudsman, Trading Standards, Ofcom etc. It's been an incredibly stressful process but DPD are claiming they delivered the parcel in full and untampered, which simply can't be true as my phone wasn't delivered at all. How did you deal with your issues?

I'm in Norfolk and my phone was meant to come 10.7.23, if either of those are similar to you please let me know as I'm trying to build a picture of anyone else in the same boat as be in order to make a formal complaint.

Userlevel 1

Rank

CatherineR92Newbie6 replies

I'm really hoping someone can help, I'm at a total loss of what to do and the situation is really starting to upset me. ALSO if this situation sounds like something you're going through/have been through in the past please let me know, as I'm trying to build a picture of a pattern of failed deliveries/mistakes by DPD in order to build a formal complaint, especially if they were recent or local to me (see title of post).

I ordered a Pixel 7 phone and ID Mobile SIM card via the Carphone Warehouse website on 8.7.23, it was due to come 10.7.23 but a parcel was actually delivered by DPD a day earlier on 9.7.23.

Inside the parcel was the SIM Card that I ordered but the phone was missing, and instead inside my package was a pair of Apple AirPods. In the 2 weeks since DPD opened an investigation, closed it, then reopened it, and have now closed it again, an email I got from Currys this evening says: 

"Please be advised that we received feedback from DPD and unfortunately we will not be able to follow our goods not received process as DPD have rejected the investigation.

DPD have advised that the parcel was delivered correctly with no damages and intact."

I don't see how they can say this when not only was my phone missing from my parcel but a totally incorrect item was in there instead. I did provide them with photos to prove what was inside and the delivery photo from DOD to show the package at my door.

I'm really worried about what this means financially as I paid for the up front cost of this phone and am going to be billed the monthly contract for it, Currys/Carphone Warehouse seem like they've totally washed their hands of me this evening and are now telling me it's a civil matter between me and DPD, but it's clear DPD are lying about the phone being delivered correctly, because it wasn't delivered at all.

What's more, I went to my local Currys earlier today and they told me they were aware of a similar pattern of customers being delivered the wrong items over the same few days as my parcel was delivered, and their local DPD driver admitted to them that there had been a problem at their packing warehouse or somewhere, where parcels were broken open and put back incorrectly. Currys in store staff know about this, but when I tell customer service, they seem happy to just let me struggle on my own.

I don't know... I've been through a lot these past few weeks with various hospital visits and this isn't helping my recovery in the slightest! Money is tight and so to spend hundreds of pounds on a phone/contract/accompanying accessories, only to have no actual phone to show for it - rendering everything else pointless, seems incredibly unfair. I'm using the new SIM Card in my old dodgy phone, but that's it.

Any advice welcome, either how I handle this situation, what I do financially to limit my losses, who I can speak to... I'd really appreciate anything. Thank you so much for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @CatherineR92,

I’m really sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had with your delivery.

If I understand correctly, you ordered directly via Currys/Carphone Warehouse?

As they are the retailer where you made this purchase, you do need to dispute any isues with the delivery with them directly.

That said, I’ll send you a PM here just to see if we can have a look at the order for you and see if there’s anything further I can find.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi @Mohammed,
Thank you so much from replying! From looking at yours and @WelshPaul’s useful replies on other people’s posts I hoped you would reply to my question :)

You are correct, I ordered my phone over the Carphone Warehouse Website, and I really have tried to rectify the issue myself through all available channels. Over the last… 16 days it’s been now, I have sent their customer service email (myphone@cpwplc.com) 15 emails, sent them 22 DMs on Twitter (or X now I guess!), called their Customer Service number (03701116565) 5 times, and the Currys number 4 times. My most recent communication I have from them is via email from them was yesterday and says the following as a direct quote:
“This will need to be taken up directly with DPD as a civil matter in this instance. You are able to report this to the police as stolen per DPD process. I am sorry that we are unable to assist with this investigation request going forward.”

This made me feel so cross… I contacted Citizens Advice Bureau today and they recommended I write to them with an ‘Official Letter of Complaint regarding non-delivery of goods’. I followed the template they provided for this, but then wrote an incredibly detailed 5,500 word letter explaining the situation with a timeline of events mentioning key correspondence, how it’s affected me, my concerns about Currys/Carphone Warehouse’s systems, how I want it to be resolved, and my appreciation for the in store colleagues who have tried incredibly hard to help me but don’t seem to be very well supported by the wider customer service team when they contact them. I thought if someone ‘higher up’ is going to deal with my issues then I want them to have all the information readily available to them, so that hopefully they are convinced by my account of events.

I’ve emailed both letters to myphone@cpwplc.com and am posting it to ‘Currys, PO Box 1687, Sheffield, S2 5YA’ and also ‘The Carphone Warehouse, PO Box 689, Salford, M5 OPD’ as those are the 2 addresses I can see online that might be useful, and the customer helpline/chat service were unable to provide me with any more specific complaint contact details. Through a phone call today to the Currys helpline, I was also made aware of a website called ‘Resolver’ that Currys/Carphone Warehouse subscribes to in order to make complaints (why absolutely no one mentioned this to me before I have no idea, it seems like it might have been quite useful!), but that has a system where after 21 days from the initial incident it automatically escalates the issue to the CEO team apparently, so we’ll see if anything coms from that I suppose in 5 days time, I basically just filled in their forms and uploaded my same letters as attachments to my online case file.

There was a point where I thought DPD may have been responsible for my phone going missing, as I thought they were the ones packing the orders, but now I understand the process better I no longer think this is the case. DPD’s job was to deliver a parcel, which they did, they are not responsible for packing the parcel. On 14.7.23 I got an email which said:
"Please be advised that our Warehouse Team confirmed that your parcel was packed correctly therefore, this investigation is still ongoing with DPD."
However, even if the Currys/Carphone Warehouse are not admitting to a fault at the packing stage, as I understand it is still Currys/Carphone Warehouse’s job to rectify my issue, and separately deal with DPD whatever they think may have gone wrong there. Instead what they did was hand it off to me when DPD also didn’t admit fault.

I have asked multiple people about my issue and everyone seems to agree that I have absolutely no contract or agreement with DPD, it is Currys/Carphone Warehouse that employ DPD to deliver their parcels, it should be Carphone Warehouse/Currys job to deliver me a replacement phone or refund my entire purchase so I can shop elsewhere. I really don’t get how 30+ people can all tell me this and yet Currys/Carphone Warehouse ignores me when I raise this, and refuses to help as highlighted in that most recent email I got from them.

Thank you for PMing me, I will respond to you there too. I really appreciate your help even though you don’t have to! 

Catherine :)

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If it was me, I would send a letter before action via registered mail to Currys Retail Limited, 1 Portal Way, London W36RS. I would do this now as they have officially (in writing) wiped their hands of any responsibility.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/small-claims/Problems-with-goods---letter-before-court-action/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/small-claims/Problems-with-goods---letter-before-court-action/

You can, of course, follow the other avenues of support mentioned above in the meantime, but should those fail, you won’t have to wait while you do this at a later date.

As a last resort, you can file a small claims here:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

Userlevel 1

@WelshPaul 
I totally agree and am doing this today, I have called Citizen’s advice and written out a long long long letter explaining my full situation, and then a shorter official letter of complaint. 

I had already emailed both to myphone@cpwplc.com , the ‘Resolver’ website for logging complaints, and now to alexander.baldock@dixonscarphone.com and posted by @andewhite , but this afternoon I am going to print them out and post them recorded delivery to ‘Currys, PO Box 1687, Sheffield, S2 5YA’ and also ‘The Carphone Warehouse, PO Box 689, Salford, M5 OPD’ as following advice from the Citizen’s Advice Bureau that I put it officially in writing as well, and these were the addresses I saw online.

Why iD Mobile?