Question

Phone says Connect to a wireless network when I'm already connected...

• 3 March 2022
  • 8 replies

I have no mobile signal where I live and so I signed up to a monthly SIM contract with Id so that I could make wi-fi calls.

I’m connected to my home wi-fi but my phone (a Motorola One Macro) constantly tells me “Mobile network is not available. Connect to a wireless network to make a call.”.

What do I need to do?

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @kneeknack,

Where did you buy your Motorola handset?

Has iD Wi-Fi Calling service ever worked with your Motorola handset?

Have you tried setting your phone to Airplane mode?

Hi @andewhite 

Thanks for the response.

I bought it from ebay 2 years ago.

I have never tried wi-fi calling before this week; I only tried it since I received my new ID SIM.

Airplane mode doesn’t work; it tells me “turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call”.

Wi-fi calling is enabled in the settings.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @kneeknack, it’s possible your handset (from ebay) was not intended for the UK market.

A manufacturer often tweaks handset firmware for specific markets, and handsets from ebay and amazon marketplace are often grey imports, meaning they don’t work properly with all the services from any given UK mobile network provider.

It might be possible to update your device here, which could help with your Wi-Fi Calling issue.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks again @andewhite .

Alas my phone is telling me that I’m using the latest Android software.

Sadly it looks like my signing up to ID was pointless.  :unamused:

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @kneeknack, if you turn-OFF mobile data and turn-ON Wi-Fi, can you use the browser on your handset?

If you can do that, does the Wi-Fi Calling feature work with your handset in this mode? 

@andewhite - yes and no respectively I’m afraid.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @kneeknack, before you give-up, it might be worth trying to get this working in a place where you know there’s a good signal for the iD mobile network.

I’ve relied on iD Wi-Fi Calling for the last 5 years, although I initially had trouble getting it working.

I specifically got an iPhone, back then, because until fairly recently Wi-Fi Calling support for Android devices wasn’t very good.

Because your One Macro is listed as supported, you should get in-touch with iD Mobile. Try sending a PM via their facebook or twitter social media pages.

It’s best to contact iD Mobile between 9am - 6pm - that way you can PM with a real person.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

And also @kneeknack - see if you TURNING-OFF the following features helps:

1. Parameters > Localization > Mode > High precision - and turn off IMPROVING PRECISION (or something similar).
  2. Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced Settings > Smart Network - and turn off INTELLIGENT WIFI (or something similar)

Apparently when turned-on, these features can make Wi-Fi behaviour unpredictable.

Anyway, good luck.

Why iD Mobile?