Solved

Random Phone Calls

• 28 August 2023
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1

I keep getting phone calls from random people who I don't know, who say they have a missed call from me, when I haven't rang them. Has anyone else had this, its very annoying especially when the other person doesn't believe that I have never called them.

icon

Best answer by Tom 28 August 2023, 17:43

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @JoJobinks 

I have heard of this reported before, however there wouldn’t be a solution or fix to this as it’s not something happening on our side, our best recommendation would be to ignore any unknown or unexpected calls.

Tom

Since leaving Vodafone and moving to IDmobile I too have experienced a surge in people saying I’ve been calling them.  Never happened until I switched so I expect if I dig a little deeper I might find that it is network related?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @John Dooley 

There wouldn’t be anything on our side that would encourage or increase random calls.

If people want to call a number they will, the network wouldn’t matter.

Tom

Ok maybe coincidental but I have had people saying I’m calling them when my phone is off.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Ok maybe coincidental but I have had people saying I’m calling them when my phone is off.

It appears somebody could be spoofing your mobile number.

The OFCOM online page about number spoofing might help in this situation. 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/scams/phone-spoof-scam

Good point - I do have access to valuable information with my main number so it’s a concern when I get issues like this.  The nature of my job demands I take extra care with my mobile phone - if you know what I mean

I have had random people calling me back saying they’ve had a missed call. 3 in the last 5 days. In all occasions the phone was on my desk in front of me.. must be the network I think?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have had random people calling me back saying they’ve had a missed call. 3 in the last 5 days. In all occasions the phone was on my desk in front of me.. must be the network I think?

Perhaps there’s someone who’s been spoofing your mobile number @Peter3000

OFCOM’s page about number spoofing might help. 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/scams/phone-spoof-scam

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Peter3000,

Please let us know if you require further assistance with this and we can help.

Kash

Since moving over to iD mobile from Smarty a couple of weeks ago I've had 4 people ring me saying I've called them and they’ve had missed calls from me but I've not called any of these numbers. It has to be that iD mobile has had a data leak or suchlike for scammers to use my number to mask theirs? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Since moving over to iD mobile from Smarty a couple of weeks ago I've had 4 people ring me saying I've called them and they’ve had missed calls from me but I've not called any of these numbers. It has to be that iD mobile has had a data leak or suchlike for scammers to use my number to mask theirs? 

Did you also switch your mobile number from SMARTY to iD Mobile @Taz Mattar

yes switched my number from Smarty to iD mobile. Never ever had an issue before with Smarty and this same number for over 3 years. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

yes switched my number from Smarty to iD mobile. Never ever had an issue before with Smarty and this same number for over 3 years. 

If you’re not pocket-dialling, maybe SMARTY leak mobile numbers of customers that switch to other providers.

Definitely not pocket dialling. Yes you may be right. Either way it’s very frustrating but just hope it’ll die down soon

I switched to ID from Smarty as well!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe coincidentally you’re in the same mobile number range @Peter3000 and @Taz Mattar, which might be well known to spoof callers. 

OFCOM publish an online list of the allocated mobile number ranges, so information is already public domain. Following introduction of mobile number portability rules, your mobile number might not be in the originally allocated range.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/numbering-data

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Peter3000 & @Taz Mattar 

I’d recommend the link given previously by @andewhite to report number spoofing to Ofcom.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?