Solved

Recieve OTP texts after leaving ID and travelling foreign countries

• 15 November 2022
  • 25 replies

I have cancelled my contract with ID but kept my UK sim in a dual sim phone like i did back in 2020 with my Vodafone sim. Last time also out of contract my UK Vodafone sim could still receive OTP sms messages whilst my foreign sim contract works in the other sim slot. Ofcourse OTP sms' are free so why can I not receive them anymore with my ID simcard? 

Also getting the notification that my sim is not provisioned. Has ID deactivated my sim because I am no longer on a monthly plan? Can they do this. I have had this phone number for over 10 years all of my accounts are linked to it.

-I have both SIM cards enabled in SIM manager.

-sim2 (UK~ ID mobile) turns off every time i restart.

-OTP SMS still worked while i was abroad with roaming off but still inside monthly plan with no extra costs arrising.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 16 November 2022, 10:32

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

25 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Ben Platt Hughes, you said you cancelled your iD contract?

If you did cancel your iD contract and it was a pay monthly plan, the iD SIM card will have been deactivated once your plan was cancelled.

If you had a PAYG plan, the SIM will be deactivated after ~120 days of inactivity, i.e. not doing something chargeable.

Good luck @Ben Platt Hughes.

How do i get the sim activated without having a contract? Shouldn't i still be able to receive free texts and calls for OTPs on the number, i have always been able to in the past with other company's SIM cards. This is really going to mess me up while travelling.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You’ll need to contact iD Mobile using live chat, or via their social media channels but, iD don’t normally reactivate an ‘old’ deactivated SIM card @Ben Platt Hughes.

Your initial post said you cancelled your iD plan, so you’ll need to get a new SIM from iD with a pay monthly or PAYG plan but, the number you had previously has been reallocated.

Good luck @Ben Platt Hughes

Thanks alot for the help. This process is going to be fun 😖

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Ben Platt Hughes,

Have you been able to make contact regarding this or did you still need help?

Mohammed

Ive ordered a free sim from a different company and will attempt to change my number over, ID is just a little too 'self help' for me. 

Thank you

Hey @Ben Platt Hughes,

Mohammed

Ok, so my next problem is how do i get a PAC code when my sim is deactivated, my ID mobile account has been restricted to limited menu and I'm out of the country with no way of contacting the helpline?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Ben Platt Hughes,

Mohammed

Ok, so my next problem is how do i get a PAC code when my sim is deactivated, my ID mobile account has been restricted to limited menu and I'm out of the country with no way of contacting the helpline?

There is no telephone helpline at iD Mobile @Ben Platt Hughes.

I think you’ll find that the number you wanted to keep was ‘lost’ when you originally cancelled your iD plan - it can’t be recovered now. 

Honestly I've never known a phone company do this... Ive had the number since i was a teenager its connected to every single account i have 🤢

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah @Ben Platt Hughes, unfortunately your ‘old’ iD plan can’t be uncancelled now, so the number you wanted to keep has been reallocated. 

I don't want to uncancel it i just want a PAC code to take my number with me, as every other mobile company allows? I'm so confused...

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I don't want to uncancel it i just want a PAC code to take my number with me, as every other mobile company allows? I'm so confused...

Okay @Ben Platt Hughes, you can only get a PAC if you’ve got an active account with iD Mobile.

Your account was cancelled and became inactive, and your number was then reallocated.

Without an active iD account and mobile phone number there is no way of getting a PAC.

I still have an account and can log in on the app but the menu is limited.

It still shows my phone number on the 'my account' page

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I still have an account and can log in on the app but the menu is limited.

It still shows my phone number on the 'my account' page

That sounds just like my ‘old’ iD account. 
I ended my iD plan on 17-Aug-2022, by using a PAC from iD, and moving my number to another provider.

Now when I login to my ‘old’ iD account online (my.idmobile.co.uk), it shows my mobile number (no longer with iD), and states “You have limited menu access as you left iD on 17 Aug 2022”, and I see the following:

This means your iD account is closed - by whatever method you used.

You cancelled your iD plan, and I closed my iD plan using a PAC.

The mobile number shown is no longer active, nor available to use on the iD mobile network. 

Yep and i have crypto and investment accounts linked to this number... Thanks ID this has really made my life exciting 😊

And this is the screen for the 'live chat' link hahah

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Ben Platt Hughes, I’d try contacting the iD social media customer support team on facebook (using Messenger), or Twitter (by Direct Message) for assistance.

Owners of a closed iD account cannot easily access the iD live chat service.

The mobile number you wanted to keep has been ‘lost’.
This will have happened when you decided to cancel your iD plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Ben Platt Hughes,

We hope that the information that @andewhite provided has helped.

However if you still require some assistance, please let us know here and we will get back to you.

Kash

No, not really. No one has replied to me on the Instagram direct message... I really really need this number back. Someone directly working for ID should have reached out to rectify this issue for me by now.

Really poor customer service experience.

I'm in Thailand trying to organise trips and cannot access my email account and authorise payments without the 2FA linked to that number.

Please help me 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

No, not really. No one has replied to me on the Instagram direct message... I really really need this number back. Someone directly working for ID should have reached out to rectify this issue for me by now.

Please help me 

If you cancelled your iD plan, and didn’t use a PAC to do this, your mobile number has been lost @Ben Platt Hughes.

If it’s been more than one month since you cancelled your iD plan @Ben Platt Hughes, the mobile number you wanted to keep has been reallocated.

What is reallocated though? Surely someone hasn't already got my number and being bombarded with all messages intended for me? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What is reallocated though? Surely someone hasn't already got my number and being bombarded with all messages intended for me? 

It’s probably been returned to a pool of mobile numbers that can be used in the future.

There's no standard procedure for reconnecting a discontinued number, but some UK providers kept the mobile numbers in quarantine for a few months before being reassigned.

Use the iD live chat service from a web browser on your laptop, or desktop computer, and speak to an iD agent about your disconnected number. The agents work until 8pm weekdays.

So how do i get it out of the pool? 😅 Is this a pool specifically owned by ID that their engineers can allocate to me? Do you see the kind of assistance I'm looking for? Not to just be told its been reallocated? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

So how do i get it out of the pool? 😅 Is this a pool specifically owned by ID that their engineers can allocate to me? Do you see the kind of assistance I'm looking for? Not to just be told its been reallocated? 

Use the iD live chat service from a web browser on your laptop, or desktop computer, and speak to an iD agent about your disconnected number. The agents work until 8pm weekdays.

Your biggest hurdle being iD Mobile are focused on retailing new handsets on 24-month contracts, and have somewhat limited technical resources for dealing with number recovery.

Good luck @Ben Platt Hughes

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Ben Platt Hughes,

I hope that you have resolved this but if you still require assistance, we can help you out.

We are here to help so please drop us a message back here and we will advise you further.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?