Question

Right, unsuccessful PAC switch. Text messages issue. S20 Ultra 5g. Help?

• 23 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Okay, so a couple of days ago I did the switch form. It said that, yesterday (as in the day after), between 8am and 10pm, the switch would be complete. Got a text at 11am ish during yesterday, saying it's done. Great!

It is not done. And to be clear, I did the switch form in the MORNING 2 days ago. 

Everything goes through in my old number (good!), EXCEPT. Text messages. 

I've found (thanks to a user on this forum) that there's a setting (in my Samsung s20 ultra phone) in the Messages app, that whether it's ticked or not alters what number my texts go from!!!!! (TO BE CLEAR, OTHER PEOPLE ARE RECEIVING TEXTS FROM MY NEW NUMBER, WHICH WOULD IMPLY TO ME THE SWITCH IS NOT COMPLETE. GREAT.) 

So in Messages app > 3 dots > Settings > Chat settings, there is an option at the very top, "Chat features." (also says, "Chat one-on-one or in groups over WiFi or mobile networks without using text messages". When it is switched on, my texts go from the new number (BAD). When it is switched off, the texts go from my old number from my old o2 contract (good, the number I wanted to keep).

Why on earth am I having to have that option switched OFF to text off the ONE number I should now have ? Also, if texts can send as the new number as well, when it's turned on, that would imply to me that my sim is using both numbers simultaneously in the first instance. It's almost 10am the following day from my 11am text. This doesn't make ANY sense to me. 

It also really doesn't help that I can't just ring and speak to a human being about this, I've had to sprawl all of this out. 

There are many things I would like to do with my Thursday morning. This is not one of them. 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you used your new Samsung with an iD SIM before the number you wanted to keep was transferred to iD, the Google have linked the number you don’t want with your new handset.

Google being Google, they don’t really care if this causes you a problem.

It can take weeks, sometimes months for Google to unlink the number you don’t want from your handset.

Turn OFF “Chat features” on your handset and your text messages will work properly.
Otherwise try and unregister the number you don’t want, which you can do online at https://messages.google.com/disable-chat.

Good luck @awn92.

Userlevel 2

I've also found that I can leave chat features on, but turn default message to text or multimedia also fixes it to text as the old number. But I'm still convinced, that if I'm able to text from the "new" (unwanted) number that I have 2 numbers attached to my sim. Seems very wrong 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I've also found that I can leave chat features on, but turn default message to text or multimedia also fixes it to text as the old number. But I'm still convinced, that if I'm able to text from the "new" (unwanted) number that I have 2 numbers attached to my sim. Seems very wrong 

If you leave “Chat features” option turned ON, I think you’ll find Google’s Messages app is using the device ID Google stored on their “Chat features” servers - not the mobile number assigned to your iD SIM card (MSISDN) in your phone.

Any Android users with “Chat features” turned ON, will also have the ‘wrong’ number when they reply, or send you a new message. Messages are getting through okay with “Chat features” turned ON - just a wrong number showing. I think this illustrates the point about Google using the device ID of your ‘new’ handset, not it’s operational mobile number.

I’d guess your device ID was setup on Google’s servers before you transferred the mobile number you wanted to keep over to iD Mobile. Hence, Google’s have out-of-date information about the mobile number operational on your new Samsung.

Other users who’ve had this issue found it can take many weeks before Google registers the ‘correct’ number.

Good luck @awn92.

Userlevel 2

Just an update, I've found an answer that absolutely worked in my case (so would if anyone else has experienced this). There is a really simple solution, that I found on another forum (the Samsung one). 

Simple steps to fix:

1. Downloading another messaging app (e.g. Google Messages), and setting that as default messaging app (don't worry, temporarily).

2. Send a text to a family member or friend as a test. I'm not sure if you need to wait for a response to it in this step, but I did that anyway…

3. When I received a response, I opened my Samsung Messages app and set it as default again, and text a relative again to test. It was now sending off of the old number (that I requested to keep, via PAC code).

In other words, these simple steps fix it. I-

4. uninstalled the google messages app after this, as I did not really want to use it on my phone (I'm used to using the generic Samsung messages one now).

This fix **does** fix the problem! Or at least, it did for me.i was even able to have the chat features option turned back on, and I didn't need to keep default message type as text or multimedia any more. I am able to have it back on as chat. The number still remains the old one. This is definitely the fix!

Very peculiar having to do this. But it works!! 

Why iD Mobile?