Solved

Roaming Charges on bill in EU country

• 19 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi

There are roaming charges on my bill when I visited EU a few days ago. Although it was capped, why are there charges, I thought EU countries (Germany/France) were included in my allowance.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 20 December 2023, 15:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

How did you travel between the UK and EU @Bobt? 

If you travelled by ferry, you might’ve used a maritime mobile network for roaming while on-board. This use isn’t included in your iD plan allowances, and is also expensive.

@andewhite thanks for your reply. We did use the ferry, but the charges are only on my wife’s phone, and as far as I know she didn’t use it on the ferry, surely you would have to log in or sign up to use a maritime mobile network. I also use idmobile and there are no charges on mine, both phones were on and switched to Roaming.

Anybody know how to contact customer service to find out what went on? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

There’s no login when using a mobile phone network, whether maritime or land-based.
The network access is usually governed by the SIM card information, your phone settings, and the settings in your iD online account.

The iD Mobile customer service team will only talk to the iD account holder.
The primary channels for contacting iD for help & support are: 

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends). 

@andewhite thanks very much for your help. I notice some OP had the same problem, and got a refund or partial refund, so I’ve messaged IDmobile to see what they say.

Luckily there was a £5.00 cap activated, so not too much damage anyway. Will know better next time ! Will switch off roaming or select airplane mode when travelling on ferry!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It’s worth asking - worst case would be no refund. 
Hope they’re sensible about it 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Bobt 

Sorry to hear you’ve been charged when you didn’t expect it.

A device enabled to change networks automatically would connect to a maritime satellite network automatically, charges or not, the bill cap would stop the charges going higher than what you’ve set it to.

If you’ve connected to a satellite network and been charged for it this would be correct, please have the account holder get in touch if they need any further assistance.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?