Solved

Roaming outside EU warning but I am in Norfolk?

• 8 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi 👋 I visited Cromer last year and got a data charge, I thought it may have been a bus Wi-Fi that created the problem, but I’m here again in Norfolk and have have had a text warning: ‘looks like you’re roaming outside EU’ is it because I’m so close to the coast? What can I do as I’m in the UK 🇬🇧 😂

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 8 July 2023, 10:58

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Dom Tracey,

Welcome to the Community!

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

I’ve just had this too, on two of our id mobile phones when we were near the beach but not even in the water. Just been through half an hour of online chat to get in resolved, twice over!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I’ve just had this too, on two of our id mobile phones when we were near the beach but not even in the water. Just been through half an hour of online chat to get in resolved, twice over!

Get what resolved? It’s normal behaviour! If you don’t want to roam on foreign, ships, ferries or cruise liners networks then turn off roaming on your devices.

Get what resolved? It’s normal behaviour! If you don’t want to roam on foreign, ships, ferries or cruise liners networks then turn off roaming on your devices.

Normal behaviour? Walking along a pavement near the north sea in the UK and 10 mins from home? Why would it be normal to be charged rest of the world roaming costs to send a text?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It is normal behaviour, yes. You can easily roam on EU networks such as France from within the UK and it happens more frequently under certain weather conditions. As I said above, configure your phone with the correct settings if you don’t want to accidentally roam on other networks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Normal behaviour? Walking along a pavement near the north sea in the UK and 10 mins from home? Why would it be normal to be charged rest of the world roaming costs to send a text?

The high pressure system over the UK maybe allowing radio signals from vessels with mobile networks to reach the coast in that area @stcom

To be certain you don’t roam in the UK, just turn data roaming OFF on your handset, and set your iD account bill cap to £0. 

No doubt you’ll get a refund if you contact iD customer service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @stcom 

If near the coast and getting warnings of roaming it may be best to change your network settings in your device and in the iD Mobile app/website to stop roaming from being possible.

You’ll be able to select a network manually in the device, switching from automatic to manual network selection will stop the device from automatically selecting a roaming network.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?