Question

SIM Service Message Popping Up

My mobile phone has started showing a pop up message box with

“SIM Service

Three UK     

ID

Cancel Ok”

The “Three UK” is shown as selected (small dot inside circle next to it) , while “ID” is shown as not selected (just a circle next to it)

Does anyone know what this is about? Do I need to select one or the other and how do I know which to select? I’ve been with ID mobile for years and never been asked this. Is selecting one or the other likely to mess things up if I get it wrong? (and how do I know which is right or wrong?)

Also, is there anywhere is Settings where you can see what “Sim Service” I’m using or is available. 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @MobileMoose,

That’s odd, I’ve not heard of this before.

Have you got a screenshot of the message you’re seeing?

Mohammed

Hi, thanks for the reply. Can’t do a screenshot on my mobile unfortunately. I’m just ignoring it at the moment so hope it doesn’t become an issue!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

You certainly can do a screenshot; time you learnt how!

If an Android, just press the on/off button; screenshot icon then appears on mine, as 4th of 4 options.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, thanks for the reply. Can’t do a screenshot on my mobile unfortunately. I’m just ignoring it at the moment so hope it doesn’t become an issue!

Why aren’t you selecting “iD” @MobileMoose

I assume you’ve got an active SIM card provided by iD Mobile in your handset, in which case “Three UK” are not involved. 

Hi, thanks for the replies. 

Still can’t see a screenshot icon. My on/off button only shows Power Off, Flight Mode and Restart. Had a look elsewhere and nothing leapt out.

Yes, I have an active SIM card from ID Mobile. Never had any issues before, but was just wondering why this “Three UK” option was popping up. Can’t see anywhere on my settings where “SIM Service” is shown (if at all). Never seen this before. My phone is about 6 years old though. No idea why “Three UK” has suddenly appeared as an option. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you checked if your handset is on the iD approved device list @MobileMoose? Check online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

Perhaps your phone has recently had a software update, resulting in this issue? 

Hi, thanks for the reply. It’s a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime which doesn’t seem to be on that list, although there are various Samsung Galaxy ones shown.

I’m not aware of any recent software updates.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess it possible the network service providers could be doing network + device configuration stuff, in preparation for 3G switch-off.

Three UK (the iD network partner) finish 3G switch-off end of 2024.

Given the device isn’t on the approved list, there might be issues using 4G VoLTE for calls once 3G switch-off happens @MobileMoose

Does the Samsung online community have any insights regarding this issue @MobileMoose

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/smartphones/ct-p/smartphones-uk

Hi, thanks again. My phone shows 4G at the top sometimes and Google seems to confirm that the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime uses 4G. I can’t seem to find any confirmation on my phone under Settings though.

Does this mean the 3G switch off won’t affect me? I only really use it for WhatsApp, phone calls, 2 Factor Authentication and internet browsing.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If 4G is not showing when you make a phone call, then it’s possible your device won’t be able to use 4G VoLTE Calling after 3G switch-off. It’s not an iD approved handset, so you’d be on your own if it didn’t work.

Post 3G switch-off, 4G VoLTE Calling will be needed to make voice calls.

🤞

Why iD Mobile?