Question

SMS not working and double numbers

When I got my phone I transferred to my old number which seems to be working for calls but I’ve just realised doesn’t work for messaging.

I seem completely unable to send an SMS message to someone and where I can send an iMessage to someone with an iPhone, it comes through as sent from the original sim number rather than from my phone number. I cannot work out why, any ideas? 

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Edit: I’ve tried turning off my phone and changing my number in setting > phone but the number isn’t updating and still shows the original sim number. Potentially an issue with the phone I received

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Thank you for sharing those tips but I’m unable to save my new number. After I press save the original sim number still shows. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, if you goto settings then apps and then messages,you need to clear the cache and data,then open messages again and goto settings and then chat features and verify your number by typing in the ported number it will still show the ID number so now turn off chat features for a minute and then turn back on and it will say verifying for a minute or two but once verified it will mow show the ported number

Userlevel 1

Just checking, when you say it's "working for calls", can you confirm that when you dial out that the caller ID on the recieving end shows the correct number (the one you are retaining)?

Also with checking that calling your old number actually works.

Assuming that's all ok. Have you tried popping the SIM out, restarting the phone, then putting the SIM back in?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Open the Messages app . Tap your Profile icon and then Messages settings and then Advanced. Select Phone number, then edit the number to the correct phone number associated with your SIM card. Tap OK. After doing that restart the phone and it should be working correctly 🤞 Also check message settings > chat features the number on there may be incorrect and need editing. 

Userlevel 1

I’m having the same problem on an iPhone. So I can receive texts and calls using my switched number, when I ring out it’s my switched number but when I respond to texts it’s the old number. It won’t let me change my number in settings. Also can’t find an option to clear cache or data for messages? Can anybody help please, thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@andewhite offered some assistance for this issue on another post linked below. Try these instructions to see if any are helpful

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/not-receiving-all-text-messages-since-ported-to-my-old-number-48170#:~:text=There%20are%20a%20few%20things,to%20confirm%20your%20mobile%20number.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m having the same problem on an iPhone. So I can receive texts and calls using my switched number, when I ring out it’s my switched number but when I respond to texts it’s the old number. It won’t let me change my number in settings. Also can’t find an option to clear cache or data for messages? Can anybody help please, thanks.

Okay @Emily Miller, have you tried to deregister the ‘old’ temporary iD mobile number online at https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/?

I suspect Apple have registered the ‘old’ temporary iD mobile number to your iPhone 14, before you transferred the number you wanted to keep to iD.

Userlevel 1

I have sorted it out now by going onto settings and changing number ‘contactable by’ and changing FaceTime and iMessage etc. thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Emily Miller,

Glad to hear that you issue is resolved.

If you require any further assistance please feel free to get back to us here and a member of the iD Mobile Team or the Community will get back to you.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?