Solved

Split number porting in issue

Userlevel 2

Hi

I used a PAC to request porting my number from my Plusnet SIM to my new iD Mobile SIM, which happened today.

The good:

•  Calls and texts from most networks (such as Three & Vodafone) go to my new iD Mobile SIM.  

The problems:  

•  Unfortunately my Plusnet account and SIM are both still active.

•  I've also just discovered that SMS texts (and maybe calls) from other Plusnet SIMs are going to my old Plusnet SIM.  (Unfortunately, this means a family member has difficulty reaching me.)

•  I called Plusnet (on the old Plusnet SIM) who said they'd do an immediate closure of my account and SIM, which hasn't worked.

I'm not sure whether the issue is on Plusnet's side or iD Mobile's side. 

Please help!

PS I've done this usual things like rebooting, swapping the SIMs, making sure we're using SMS and not RCS (Android phones.)

icon

Best answer by andewhite 30 June 2023, 22:59

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The porting process can take up until 10pm to complete so you need to wait a bit longer.

FYI - Any issues with the port are the responsibility of iD Mobile, not Plusnet.

If Plusnet has been messing around with your account (especially by trying to close it) before the port was completed, this could have caused issues with the port. Time will tell, I guess.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iD community members can’t look at your iD account, or porting details @jewelie.

Your best hope getting this fixed is to contact iD customer support using the online live chat service.

The support team work until 8pm weekdays (6pm at weekends).

FYI, mobility number portability is regulated by OFCOM and is supposed to happen within one working day of giving your PAC to your new service provider.

The gaining service provider is 100% responsible for the porting processes, so the consumer only has a single point-of-contact. iD Mobile are required to compensate you for each day the transfer is delayed, which isn’t much if you just want the number you’re keeping to be working normally.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the info!

Userlevel 2

Update:

Wasn't sorted by 10pm (the time PAC transfers are supposed to fully complete by)

The next day the old plusnet SIM and account went dead and texts etc from other plusnet/EE SIMs were  correctly directed to my new iD Mobile SIM.  So all sorted.

​​​​​​Given that-

•  This didn't complete by 10pm on the day,

•  It didn't behave as another recent similar Plusnet->iD Mobile PAC number port did (which resulted in the old plusnet SIM and account being decommissioned immediately the number ported to the new iD Mobile SIM)

•  Plusnet didn't seem to have any record of the PAC being used (nor were there any emails or texts from them to indicate it had been used)

... I'm going to assume the Plusnet rep manually requesting immediate closure of the account was probably what fixed the issue.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It was probably the rep messing with the Plusnet account that caused the delay. You’re lucky you didn’t lose the number because had the rep closed the Plusnet account, the port would have failed and the number lost.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

At least everything’s working with your iD SIM now, and hopefully your old provider’s account is closed.

You have to wonder why iD say it can take until 10pm to complete a transfer, given their customer support closes at 8pm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @jewelie 

Are you still having issues with this?

Please let us know so we can get in touch and take a look.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You have to wonder why iD say it can take until 10pm to complete a transfer, given their customer support closes at 8pm.

Customer support and porting events are completely unrelated, ports are an automatic process once submitted.

Tom

Userlevel 2

Hi @jewelie 

Are you still having issues with this?

Please let us know so we can get in touch and take a look.

Tom

No, once plusnet closed down their side it sorted itself out.  Thank you!

Userlevel 2

It was probably the rep messing with the Plusnet account that caused the delay. You’re lucky you didn’t lose the number because had the rep closed the Plusnet account, the port would have failed and the number lost.

Yes!  I'll know for future to only deal with the place I'm porting too.

At that point, the number had ported across to the new iD Mobile SIM as far as every network other than Plusnet/EE were concerned. 

We had ported another number from plusnet to id mobile only a month earlier.  The moment that other number started working on the new iD Mobile SIM the old Plusnet SIM immediately died, unlike what happened this time around, which is what made me wonder if something was amiss.

When I spoke to the plusnet reps, and when I looked at messages etc, it was clear that Plusnet had no clue that the number port was happening.  We didn't even get the same text messages from Plusnet about us going etc.  They said they had seen something like this happen before once too.

I have a theory why it might have broke, maybe I tickled a small bug? ....

I started the number port request on iD Mobile's website whilst the iD Mobile SIM was in the post. I got to the point of selecting a date, then I *think* I decided to back out of it rather than confirming (just in case there was a chance of the number port happening before the new SIM arrived.)  The port happened anyway, and plusnet mobile had no clue it was happening.

I could have misremembered though.  Unlikely, as if I'd purposefully confirmed the port and date then I would have popped it in my calendar immediately (I'm a bit obsessive about that.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @jewelie 

Glad to hear that’s sorted, please let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?