Solved

Steps/Expectations after upgrading from an iD sim-only to an iD sim + phone contract.

• 22 September 2023
  • 6 replies

I’ve come to the end of my iD sim-only contract and decided to upgrade to an iD sim + phone package and I’m still waiting on my phone to arrive. I’ve had plenty emails confirming the the new package and device delivery, but I still only see my existing sim-only contract when I log into my account with nothing pending. I don’t want to end up paying for two contracts and I want to keep my number.

I’ve looked through this forum and I’ve seen a few responses to similar (older) questions saying...

1. Register your new sim and the number should should move over.
  2. Just use your existing sim with your new phone.
  3. Your new contract should appear in your “Your Account” once you receive your phone.

I’m still not sure what I need to do or expect, but perhaps all will be revealed when the new phone arrives hopefully with migration instructions. However, in the meantime, can someone answer the following…

1. Will my old sim-only contract naturally terminate when my new phone arrives or do I need to cancel it?
  2. Will I need to transfer my number?
  3. When should I expect my account details to show the new contract?
  4. Who can I contact if I end up getting charged for two contracts?

Hopefully someone has already been through this and can enlighten me! 😉

icon

Best answer by andewhite 22 September 2023, 15:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Baffers, if the iD Mobile upgrade procedure is followed to the letter by customer and company, when the new 24-month minimum term handset arrives, your existing SIM should work in the new device (if it fits) - and that’s it.

Problems arise when a new connection instead of an upgrade is ordered or provided. 

Was the handset in-stock at the time it was ordered?

This forum article may be of assistance:

I ordered the phone through my iD Mobile app and clicked on what appeared to be an upgrade link, but I haven’t seen anything to confirm it’s an upgrade or a new contract. This is probably key to what happens next.

Thanks for the article link.

The phone is due to arrive tonight so let’s see what happens. 🤞

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

No worries - hope your upgrade works out okay @Baffers
🍀

Thanks @andewhite.

So I have two options going forward, if my purchase isn’t seen as an upgrade…

1. I continue to use my existing sim with the new phone and give my new sim to a family member who can use it on their phone. I’ll have to create a new account with a different email for the new contract and keep it separate from my existing account/contract. 
  2. I use my new sim with the new phone but have to use a new number. I then have to PAC my old number and transfer it onto a surrogate (non iD) sim then terminate my old contract. I then transfer my old number onto my new sim (at some point) and then use my new account/contract from there on.

Are there any other options?

I’m assuming it’s still the case that an iD phone number cannot be transferred to another sim.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m not aware of any other option, except to return your new order within the cooling off period.

Unfortunately, you can’t use a PAC to port a number from one iD account to another iD account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Baffers 

Have you been given a new number with your newly ordered plan?

If yes, you’ve ordered a new, completely separate plan.

If no, it’s possible you’ve ordered an upgrade correctly, your plan will show up in your iD mobile app/website soon after dispatch.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?