Question

Suddenly unable to make or receive calls

Userlevel 1

About 4 days ago, I was unable to make or recieve calls. 

Samsung A50s. 

I can still make and receive texts and use data. 

It says 3 Network in the corner of my screen rather than ID mobile now, although I'm not sure if that was always the case. 

I've tried the sim in two other phones. And i can make and receive calls, no problem. 

I've tried other sims (but not ID mobile) in my Samsung A50s, and they work fine. 

So the issue seems to be the ID Mobile sim not working fully with my Samsung. 

I checked do not disturb and flight mode not on, and call forwarding etc, no issues there. 

I reset the network link - took it off search network automatically and manual select - ID mobile doesn't come up but 3 Network does - which I assume is correct as they use 3.

But even after selecting it manually, i still can't make or receive calls. 

Finally I did a whole factory reset. Waste of time. Didn't make a difference. 

I contacted ID Mobile, they are investigating. I also asked for a replacement sim to be sent. 

I did read that ID Mobile are phasing out 3G, but my phone is 4G capable so can't be linked to that. 

That's my day.  I've exhausted all possibilities. 

Any ideas or similar issues welcome. 

31 replies

I’m having the exact same issue. i noticed it starting last week.

After contacting ID Mobile they said they would send a new SIM; that arrived, and it’s still not working. Their solution… ‘go to Currys and try a third SIM card.’

I have no idea how many they expect me to try.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Are you in the area covered by the Three UK 3G mobile network switch-off, @Bonvin / @Riprop

Perhaps following 3G switch-off, the 4G and 5G network configuration in the area isn’t 100% correct for the Three UK MVNO partners like iD Mobile. 

Thanks.

Yes, i’m in that area. I thought i’d still be able to use 4G though. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks.

This forum article might help to determine if your handset is OK for “iD 4G Calling” service, @Bonvin

Additionally, check iD handset list at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

Userlevel 1

Thanks.

This forum article might help to determine if your handset is OK for “iD 4G Calling” service, @Bonvin

Additionally, check iD handset list at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

Thank you- yes im in the switch off area.

My phone isn't quite listed, I have a Samsung A50s - note the "s", and they have A50 listed as approved - not sure if this will make the world of difference.

Sounds like the replacement sim won't make a difference when it arrives. They told me to contact them in 48 hours for an update. 

Not happy i have to chase them tbh. 

If their network can't do what im paying them for then time to move. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Did you get guidance on how to contact iD, @Riprop?

Not sure there’s a reliable method of communicating with iD.

Userlevel 1

Did you get guidance on how to contact iD, @Riprop?

Not sure there’s a reliable method of communicating with iD.

It was abit of a faff, I had to go onto the Live Chat and deal with a bot until I eventually got through to a person.

He told me he'll get his technical team to look into it and I should return back for an update in 48 hours. 

Having tried a Three sim in the phone and found that works absolutely fine, I'm surprised the ID Mobile sim doesn't work. 

Equally, the ID Mobile sim works in other phones. 

So boils down to ID Mobile doesn't work with my phone. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks, @Riprop

Are you using the latest version of Android, available from Samsung, for your handset?

Check the following settings, if possible, which may help with your 4G Calling issue:

• Settings > Network > Mobile network, there might be an option "4G calling"
  • Check this says "Use 4G services to improve voice ..." and it is set as "recommended".

Just thought I’d weigh in on this to hopefully build traction on the issue.

I’ve been having the exact same problem for weeks and I’m in the same area highlighted above, though weirdly I didn’t experience this issue when I visited Nottingham the other day. Suddenly I could make calls again. Not in Derby, though.

Similar experience with the Live Chat giving me a replacement SIM. No effect. I was then told the problem would be sorted Monday 6th May… it wasn’t

I’m starting to think the 3G switch-off is having unintended side effects and I’m very close to just switching providers at this point, unless I see some proper sign of this being addressed.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Similar experience with the Live Chat giving me a replacement SIM. No effect. I was then told the problem would be sorted Monday 6th May… it wasn’t

I’m starting to think the 3G switch-off is having unintended side effects and I’m very close to just switching providers at this point, unless I see some proper sign of this being addressed.

Did iD Live Chat check make & model of the handset you’re using with your iD SIM card, @JordyBoothy

Did iD Live Chat check make & model of the handset you’re using with your iD SIM card, @JordyBoothy

I told them I use a Google Pixel 3a. I know it’s incompatible with 4G calling and WiFi calling, which doesn’t give me much hope if it’s considered old hardware.

Userlevel 1

Okay thanks, @Riprop

Are you using the latest version of Android, available from Samsung, for your handset?

Check the following settings, if possible, which may help with your 4G Calling issue:

• Settings > Network > Mobile network, there might be an option "4G calling"
  • Check this says "Use 4G services to improve voice ..." and it is set as "recommended".

Hi mate

Yes latest android installs all done, via the settings option "check for updates"  or whatever it's called.

Wifi calling on as well, but no such option you mentioned above. 

Not looking good is it. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@Riprop / @JordyBoothy, your handsets probably need to support use of Band 20 in the 800 MHz frequency range, which is supposed to work well indoors.

This frequency was obtained by Three UK in 2013 and is apparently mainly used by them to support VoLTE. While rollout across the UK is quite substantial, some sites might not have this band yet.   

@Riprop, the following topic in the Samsung community might help: 

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-A/Samsung-a50s-volte-option-not-showing-in-settings/td-p/14185900

Userlevel 1

@Riprop / @JordyBoothy, your handsets probably need to support use of Band 20 in the 800 MHz frequency range, which works well indoors.

This frequency was obtained by Three UK in 2013 and is apparently mainly used by them to support VoLTE. While rollout across the UK is quite substantial, some sites might not have this band yet.   

Thanks pal

I've tampered with all settings available on the phone, I do recall seeing a setting referring to voLTE, which was on already. 

This has become far more technical than it should,  there must be alot of older people with older phones who cannot make or receive calls right now. 

I didn't mention it before to avoid confusion, it's actually my mother in laws phone that's got the issue. So I've been going back and forth trying to resolve it for her. 

As it stands, data and wifi works so she can ring me on whatsapp, but otherwise for things like doctors or emergency numbers, it's useless. 

I may have to get her another sim from another network if its not resolved by Friday. 

I'll get onto Live Chat now and see if they have anything useful. 

Thanks for the help buddy

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Riprop, unfortunately smartphones are consumer tech nowadays, and the Samsung Galaxy A50s was launched nearly 5-years ago. 

Rightly or wrongly, a 5-year Android device probably isn’t going to get much support from the service provider, nor the device manufacturer. 

Perhaps giffgaff would be a better option in this case. Although, the following topic in the Samsung community might help: 

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-A/Samsung-a50s-volte-option-not-showing-in-settings/td-p/14185900

Userlevel 1

Thanks buddy 

I've read the link,  I've previously tried everything listed.  I even went through the pain of factory resetting the phone. 

Just been onto Live Chat,  even though I provided a reference number to my previous conversation, the lady still needed me to explain all over again what the situation is.. Very poor, bad enough I had to go back to them rather than they contact me.

She suggested a replacement sim and offered to send one, even though I already told the last guy (at my request) to send it. 

She thinks it may resolve it. I'll see when I get it but I'm doubtful.

You've definitely been so much more helpful, really appreciated mate. 

It looks though, I will have to move it to another network. 

I'll google giff gaff, hopefully it won't face similar issues. 

She's a low end user, but calls are very important to older folk.  If I had time, I'd escalate this to the Ombudsman.

It is an old phone as you say, but I'm hoping to avoid her having to fork out. 

I have a basic Nokia phone for work, not smartphone. Had it for 5 years, Vodafone, and even something simple like that hasn't failed. 

I'd never had thought a network couldn't be compatible with a phone. 

Oh well... Thanks again mate. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately, iD customer service is often like a lottery, @Riprop

The live chat service is usually hopeless, not least because you’ve got to repeat things time over time.

The giffgaff services run on the O2 network, which still has 2G calling. My elderly mother-in-law is with giffgaff, with a low tech phone, which works for her.

@Riprop / @JordyBoothy, your handsets probably need to support use of Band 20 in the 800 MHz frequency range, which is supposed to work well indoors.

@Riprop, the following topic in the Samsung community might help: 

Apparently the Google Pixel 3a does support Band 20. The frequency is 850 MHz and above, which puts it alongside all the later generations of Pixel phones, so if that’s the issue, I can’t be sure upgrading the phone itself will solve anything.

Google Pixel 3a stats:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7158570?hl=en-GB

I appreciate the help and engagement @andewhite. May look into O2/Giffgaff since that’s cheaper than buying a new handset which may or may not resolve the issue.

To anyone following along: I’m unable to make or receive phone calls in the Derby area, however outside of Derby i.e. Nottingham there’s no problem. Seems to be some kind of regional frequency issue possibly brought about by the 3G switch-off. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Given your device works with your iD SIM in Nottingham, but not in Derby, clearly this points to some kind of mobile network infrastructure / misconfiguration issue, @JordyBoothy

Unlikely iD Mobile have the technical resources to resolve this, so iD will be reliant on their network partner (Three UK) to get this fixed - could take a long time. 

Userlevel 1

I’m interested in this thread because my mobile stopped making or receiving calls on Monday 6th (or that’s when I noticed) and I’m in the Derby DE21 area. Regarding VoLTE support, I noticed that my phone is listed by Three as being compatible with 4G calling, https://devicesupport.three.co.uk/guides/ but isn’t listed by iD as being compatible. It must have taken extra effort to have achieved this!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’m interested in this thread because my mobile stopped making or receiving calls on Monday 6th (or that’s when I noticed) and I’m in the Derby DE21 area. Regarding VoLTE support, I noticed that my phone is listed by Three as being compatible with 4G calling, https://devicesupport.three.co.uk/guides/ but isn’t listed by iD as being compatible. It must have taken extra effort to have achieved this!

Does your handset work with a Three UK SIM card, @Aaagh?

Seems likely iD have their own network profiles for handsets, which differ from those provided by Three UK.

Userlevel 1

Does your handset work with a Three UK SIM card, @Aaagh?

Seems likely iD have their own network profiles for handsets, which differ from those provided by Three UK.

I don’t have a Three SIM to test---I’ve tried a Smarty one, and that didn’t work, either, although it’s not much of a test. This is my phone: https://devicesupport.three.co.uk/guides/device/Motorola/XT1675MotoG5

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Aaagh, your Moto G5 appears to fulfil requirements for 4G Calling (VoLTE) in the UK, unless it was acquired on the ‘grey’ market.

Otherwise, perhaps like @JordyBoothy, you’re affected by some kind of mobile network infrastructure / misconfiguration issue in the Derby area following 3G switch-off by Three UK. 

Seems odd Three UK decided to begin 3G switch-off in an area with a significant population.

Userlevel 1

Right... Replacement sim came. 

Straight to the point : it doesnt work.

Same problem. 

I conclude its a band/ frequency support issue. Whatever Band my phone uses, ID Mobile doesn't support. 

I'm switching it out to another network. I've tested Three and Virgin(o2) sims in the phone and no problem.

ID mobile will lose alot of customers. 

This is getting ridiculous. I can't make or receive calls in Nottingham. I only got this Samsung Se10 in December, when iD Sim and phone worked fine together. I was so frustrated I went to Carphonewarehouse, and not even they could understand what was going on. My iD Sim works in my Samsung A50, making calls as normal. I come to London my Se10 works fine. iD asked me to change my sim, so I did...5 TIMES! Still can't make calls. According to the list, both my phones are compatible. They came out within a few days of each other in 2019. Customer service have been very poor. 'We'll escalate this and contact you within 48 hours". Well,  I first contacted them April 19, so we can forget that time limit. My contract started in Dec '23, right now I feel like I just want to buy out the rest of the contract and jump ship. 

Why iD Mobile?