Question

Updated SIM plan is not showing in My Account

• 13 December 2023
  • 16 replies

Hi. Took advantage of a better monthly SIM package ( cheaper and more data). Sent a new SIM which is active on checking but not put in phone as I need to keep my number. As I understand system should update to new allowances but this has not happened. New direct debit been taken so I cancelled the old one. How do I get new plan on the account please? Thanks.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @nikpage,

Welcome to the Community!

Did you upgrade or purchase a new SIM card?

If it’s a new SIM you’ll need to register again for the new account.

We are unable to port an iD Mobile number from one account to another.

If you wish to keep the old iD Mobile number we would advise to upgrade.

Further to this just to advise, cancelling the direct debit doesn’t cancel the contract.

Kash

That is terrific. Can see I have to close the plan but available options do not include what I have bought as an upgrade. I was sent a new SIM but understand I do not need to use it…

Thanks again

N

Hi there, 

I am also having same issue, I was on monthly pay as you go with ID mobile and have purchased a new contract from carphone warehouse with ID mobile as the network provider, I have been given new sim card but want to use my existing ID number and switch over and can cancel my pay as you go monthly payment, please let me know, I tried to do switch over, but I get message: ‘Unfortunately same network switching is not permitted. If you would like to keep your existing number but would like to understand what upgrade or switching options you have please contact our customer services at’, however I have already purchased an upgrade plan, please advice.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi there, 

I am also having same issue, I was on monthly pay as you go with ID mobile and have purchased a new contract from carphone warehouse with ID mobile as the network provider, I have been given new sim card but want to use my existing ID number and switch over and can cancel my pay as you go monthly payment, please let me know, I tried to do switch over, but I get message: ‘Unfortunately same network switching is not permitted. If you would like to keep your existing number but would like to understand what upgrade or switching options you have please contact our customer services at’, however I have already purchased an upgrade plan, please advice.

Sounds like you’ve purchased a new connection to the iD network, with your new Carphone Warehouse (CPW) handset @Holy Zaman. 

When you purchase a non-SIM free handset at CPW, you’ll get new connection to iD Mobile network or Vodafone network. New connections come with a new mobile number.

Unfortunately, you’ll need to do a triangle port, to move the number you want keep from the ‘old’ iD connection over to the ‘new’ iD connection.

@andewhite - Thanks, yes carphone warehouse have sent the new phone today, and I have been given a new sim card with new number from ID mobile, my old sim is still on the old phone which is the number I want to use, I am now setting up my phone, and telling me to connect to mobile network, I have not inserted my new sim yet, its asking me to Transfer SIM from another device, or Scan QR code from service provider, shall I put my old sim and then click on Transfer SIM from another device? How can I do the triangle port?

I also want to cancel my old sim card account so I no longer want to pay the pay as you go monthly as I am on a new contract now, please advise?

Regards

Holy

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Holy Zaman, so your ‘old’ iD plan was PAYG, not a pay monthly (by direct debit) plan? 

@andewhite - my old ID plan is a sim only monthly plan, which is £5 a month taken via direct debit, and now I am on a new 24 month contract plan with ID paying £29.99 a month, I want to cancel my £5 a month plan and use my old number in the new plan?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you cancel your old £5/month iD plan, your mobile number will be retired when iD disconnect you from their network. 

If you want to keep your mobile number, you will need to do a triangle port, as follows: 

1. Get a PAC from iD Mobile for the number you want to keep.
  2. Give the PAC from step (1) to a new PAYG network (e.g. ASDA mobile, giffgaff, SMARTY). 
  3. Let the number you want to keep transfer to the new PAYG plan from step (2).
    Your old iD plan will be closed the day after your number transfer is completed.
  4. After step (3) has been completed, ask your new PAYG network for a PAC, for the number you want to keep.
  5. Give the PAC from step (4) to iD Mobile, for the ID account you’re keeping. 
    The number you want to keep will be transferred back to iD Mobile, with the newly purchased 24-month minimum term £29.99 contract.

@andewhite - This is a bit long process, but if I go with the new PAYG network then I also need to cancel this after I have transferred the number back to ID mobile, why can’t iD just transfer my number as both is with same network provider ID, I just want to transfer my old ID mobile number to my new 24 monthly contract plan, please advise?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, it’s a faff @Holy Zaman. 

iD Mobile, like most UK mobile operators, don’t let customers transfer a number from one connection (account) to another connection (account), on their network. 

When you use a PAC, to transfer a number you want to keep, the old account is closed as part of the switching process, so new PAYG account gets closed when you transfer the number you want to keep back to iD Mobile.

@andewhite - I didn’t realise this , I thought since its same network provider the number would be transferred easily, and old account would be closed and old number transferred to new plan(account). So do I need to use a different provider on pay as you go and then send them my PAC code, and once this is activated then I can cancel and then request a new PAC from them to send to ID mobile?

So I am guessing for now I have to use my new sim card(new number) for the new phone? Or shall I just put in my old sim card(the number I want to keeo)?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Holy Zaman, for no faff are you prepared to pay £29.99/month + £5/month, and continue using your old SIM (number you want to keep) in your new handset?

If not, you’ll need to perform a triangle port, to save £5/month (i.e. £120 over 24-months).

@andewhite - So if I leave my old sim in the new phone, I won’t get the same allowances, because my £5 a monthly sim is only giving me 2GB data and 500 free minutes whereas my new 24 month contract is giving me 250GB data, and unlimited minutes and texts so if I carry on using my old sim I would not get these allowances for my new contract, can you please advise?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@andewhite - So if I leave my old sim in the new phone, I won’t get the same allowances, because my £5 a monthly sim is only giving me 2GB data and 500 free minutes whereas my new 24 month contract is giving me 250GB data, and unlimited minutes and texts so if I carry on using my old sim I would not get these allowances for my new contract, can you please advise?

Okay @Holy Zaman, I’m just a forum member like yourself. If you want to keep your mobile number, and use the new plan allowances, which came with your new handset purchase from CPW, you’ll need to perform a triangle port, as follows: 

1. Get a PAC from iD Mobile for the number you want to keep.
  2. Give the PAC from step (1) to a new PAYG network. 
  3. Let the number you want to keep transfer to the new PAYG plan from step (2).
  4. After step (3), ask your new PAYG network for a PAC, for the number you want to keep.
  5. Give the PAC from step (4) to iD Mobile, for the ID account you’re keeping. 
    The number you want to keep will be transferred back to iD Mobile, with your CPW purchased 24-month minimum term handset + line rental contract.

Otherwise, contact iD Mobile customer services using one of their PRIMARY support channels:

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nikpage 

We’ll sometimes send out a spare SIM just in case, this doesn’t need to be activated and can just be kept as a spare incase you ever do need it.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Holy Zaman 

If you’ve purchased a new plan with a new number this would not be considered an upgrade plan, as the port form suggests same network switching is not available.

It may be best to do what we’d call a triangle port.

Move the number you’d like to keep via PAC code from the current iD Mobile plan to another network’s Pay As You Go SIM card, once it’s moved there use a PAC code to move it from there to the new iD Mobile contact plan.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?