Solved

URGENT: PUK Codes Given Don't Work!

• 18 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

Background

My phone broke and I tried to use my husband’s phone with my ID Mobile SIM, briefly. The phone stated that I needed to provide a SIM PIN code. I entered one and it was incorrect, so I used Live Chat to get help with my SIM’s PIN code. 

What happened

1. 30-min wait for an agent to respond and afterwards, every message took up to 5 minutes to come through.
  2. 1st agent gave me the wrong PINs twice. Locked me out.
  3. Then, she gave me 2 wrong PUK codes. 
  4. Next, she asked me to try my SIM on another handset, which I didn’t have. She conveniently got disconnected at this point.
  5. 12-min wait for another agent.
  6. 2nd agent incorrectly told me that the phone telling me “SIM network PIN blocked” and that I needed a “SIM network PUK” meant that the handset was locked, not my SIM. I highly doubted that and questioned her further. She insisted on the veracity of her statement. I went away and this whole thing had taken around 1.5h by this point.
  7. I called my husband’s mobile service provider (Vodafone, who gave me a code in under 4 minutes) and tried their PUK code on the handset. This of course didn’t work, because it’s a SIM problem.
  8. This means that I’d unsuccessfully tried different PUK codes 5 or 6 times by now. I’ve very few further attempts before I get completely blocked.

My ask

PLEASE will someone from ID Mobile give me the correct PUK code and solve this straightforward issue for me? 

You issued the SIM. You should have the PUK code. I need my code very urgently, as I have had no access to phone service for 48h now and am in the middle of some important matters.

And next time, when ID Mobile sends out SIMs, please include a short letter to state that we should not throw out the plastic frame within which the SIM is encased. Who knew that leftover plastic would contain crucially useful information, especially when customer service is so utterly inadequate.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 20 July 2023, 16:04

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @L01,

Assuming that you’ve only ever had 1 SIM with us, the PUK codes provided are the only ones we have.

These PUK codes are found when searching for the SIM serial number on the system so are directly linked.

If the PUK codes are not working, it’s likely you need a PUK code from your old network, or that the PUK code isn’t what’s being asked for here and the device could be locked to the old network.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I experienced the exact same thing when I was a customer of iD Mobile. I entered an incorrect SIM pin (I was an iD Mobile noob back then) and required a PUK! Contacted live chat, explained, provided mobile number and personal information and was given a PUK number that never worked. Ended up blocking the SIM! I was told a replacement SIM would be sent to me but I never received one of those either. I closed the account in the end.

Userlevel 1

Hey @L01,

Assuming that you’ve only ever had 1 SIM with us, the PUK codes provided are the only ones we have.

These PUK codes are found when searching for the SIM serial number on the system so are directly linked.

If the PUK codes are not working, it’s likely you need a PUK code from your old network, or that the PUK code isn’t what’s being asked for here and the device could be locked to the old network.

Mohammed

Hi @Mohammed,

Thank you for your thorough reply, it was very helpful. It turns out that the phone was indeed locked in some way and preventing my SIM from working. I bought a new handset and my SIM worked on it, thank goodness.

Thank you for your swift help!

Userlevel 1

I experienced the exact same thing when I was a customer of iD Mobile. I entered an incorrect SIM pin (I was an iD Mobile noob back then) and required a PUK! Contacted live chat, explained, provided mobile number and personal information and was given a PUK number that never worked. Ended up blocking the SIM! I was told a replacement SIM would be sent to me but I never received one of those either. I closed the account in the end.

Hey, 

I know you've closed the account now but if you need a SIM in future, I was told by customer service that we can pick one up immediately at any Currys branch.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey, 

I know you've closed the account now but if you need a SIM in future, I was told by customer service that we can pick one up immediately at any Currys branch.

Yes @L01, that’s certainly true if you need to get a replacement iD SIM card.
I guess Currys also sell mobile phones and SIM plans. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

At the time, there was a £5 charge applied when obtaining a replacement SIM card via Curry’s. I didn’t want to pay a penny for someone else’s incompetence. Let alone walk 3 miles to get one! 

Why iD Mobile?