Solved

Very very poor mobile reception affecting my business

• 28 February 2024
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1

Dear ID mobile,

I’ve been a customer with you for years and tho signal strength has always been a bit low with occasional outages in the SN8 4HR postcode. But recently say about 3 weeks ago since some network maintenance in the SN8 area I can’t make or receive mobile calls any longer and it’s starting to have a serious impact on me and my business. I can receive texts but just not phone calls and now have to travel 1.5 miles along the A4 to just see if I have any voice messages.

Please please help!

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 28 February 2024, 13:13

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

iD Mobile is for personal use only, not business. 

5.3 You may use the Services only as set out in this Agreement and for your own personal use. This means you must not resell or commercially exploit any of the Services or content.

5.9 We are providing the SIM Card/eSIM and the Services solely for your own personal use (and not for any business purposes) and you may not re-sell or otherwise act as any form of distributor in respect of the SIM Card/eSIM, the Content, the Services or your number, code or any associated number. You must not connect a GSM Gateway to the Network or otherwise establish, install or use a GSM Gateway in relation to the Network or the Services without our prior written consent, which may be withheld at our absolute discretion.

If you’re using your iD Mobile phone service for business use, then you’re in breach of the terms of service.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverag

If there is ongoing network maintenance in the area then there is little you can do other than to use WiFi calling (where available), wait or switch networks (early termination fee may apply).

Userlevel 1

It’s a personal number and mainly for personal use just to clarify. It’s a number I have brought with me over many many years and my friends, family and people who need my services use that number to contact me. I can well imagine that I am not alone in using the same mobile number for many years that ends up being multi purpose and covers multiple needs and uses. But I take your point you made above, thank you for that. But that’s not why I need some help from here. So….

I need this long standing telephone number as I’m caring for my elderly parents and currently they are struggling to get in contact with me when I’m needed urgently. So moving forward how can my service be restored to what I had before this maintenance? I indeed would like to enable wifi calling but my current sim doesn’t allow that so maybe need so help in activating that or maybe some advice on how to add that to my account? Can that be done through this support forum or do I need to contact ID in a different way? Again, I’m at a loss and need some helpful guidance please.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You don’t need a new or replacment SIM to enable WiFi calling.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling

What device do you have?

Userlevel 1

I’ve just been checking that my Pixel 2, don’t laugh, might not support wifi calling. My limited research is showing slightly mixed results but guessing I need to upgrade my phone first. Does wifi calling come enable as default on ID contracts?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Try the following:

Open the phone app > click on the 3 dots located in the top right > Settings > Calls > Wi-Fi calling > Enable

Do you see this option?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’ve just been checking that my Pixel 2, don’t laugh, might not support wifi calling. My limited research is showing slightly mixed results but guessing I need to upgrade my phone first. Does wifi calling come enable as default on ID contracts?

Before you upgrade, maybe worth looking at the list of handsets approved for the iD Mobile network, @Steve K.

This is online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

The list shows if the handset is supported for the “iD WiFi Calling” service.

Userlevel 1

That option doesn’t exist on my phone and that’s the same guide I had found too to enable wifi. But not on my phone :-(

Userlevel 1

Before you upgrade, maybe worth looking at the list of handsets approved for the iD Mobile network, @Steve K.

This is online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

The list shows if the handset is supported for the “iD WiFi Calling” service.

Pixel 4 and above

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Enter the following:

*#*#4636#*#*

Click on ‘Phone information’ and scroll down. Do you see an option for WiFi Calling? 

Userlevel 1

We might be onto something here. Loads of new options including wifi calling provisioned, which is currently turned off. Can I safely enable that option?

Update: I can’t toggle that switch as It’s greyed out on this phone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It’s the engineering test menu so be careful what you change here! Usually the WiFi Calling option here is greyed out. Try enabling it. 

It’s my understanding that Wi-Fi calling was present on the Pixel 2 series devices, but the networks implemented it in a way that made the pixel 2 not compatible with many of the networks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Update: I can’t toggle that switch as It’s greyed out on this phone.

Then Wi-Fi calling is provisioned but the device is not compatible with id Mobile’s Wi-Fi calling.

Userlevel 1

It’s the engineering test menu so be careful what you change here! Usually the WiFi Calling option here is greyed out. Try enabling it. 

It’s my understanding that Wi-Fi calling was present on the Pixel 2 series devices, but the networks implemented it in a way that made the pixel 2 not compatible with many of the networks.

There isn’t much I can toggle in there and unfortunately the wifi calling is greyed out. 

New phone is probably my best bet.

Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Steve K,

Welcome to the Community!

iD Mobile doesn’t support Wi-Fi calling on the Pixel 2 unfortunately.

You can find further information here.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling

Kash

Why iD Mobile?