Question

What happens to your plan if you are not deemed a permanent UK resident?

• 25 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello there, first time poster and potential future ID Mobile customer.

I’m considering getting a contract with ID Mobile which spans 24 months - however, there is a chance my family will be permanently relocating to Spain next August, which means we no longer will be a permanent UK resident.

As I understand it, after 4 months any users will be charged on a UK out of plan rate. What I’m unclear about is whether the monthly tariff remains in place, or if at that point the contract is terminated.

Not looking to game the system here - we’re definitely not a certainty to move overseas next year so looking for some guidance before I sign up. Alternatively, if a sim only approach is more sensible here I’ll go with that.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Why not get an iD pay-as-you-go SIM and set-up a monthly recurring payment for the bundle/plan of your choice. iD PAYG plans includes EU roaming like their pay monthly ones.

Good luck @newuser2022

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m considering getting a contract with ID Mobile which spans 24 months - however, there is a chance my family will be permanently relocating to Spain next August, which means we no longer will be a permanent UK resident.

As I understand it, after 4 months any users will be charged on a UK out of plan rate. What I’m unclear about is whether the monthly tariff remains in place, or if at that point the contract is terminated.

Not looking to game the system here - we’re definitely not a certainty to move overseas next year so looking for some guidance before I sign up. Alternatively, if a sim only approach is more sensible here I’ll go with that.

Hello @newuser2022,

You’re liable for a contract for the minimum term.

You can use your service abroad and if you do move permanently, you’ll still be able to but incur a surcharge for usage after the 4th month if you can’t prove ties to the UK (which in this case wouldn’t be possible due to moving).

You can then cancel after the term is up.

You’re better off getting a PAYG (which you can just stop using when done) or a monthly rolling contract SIM which you can cancel at any time with 30-days notice until you know for sure.

You can upgrade a monhtly rolling SIM contract after 6-months of payments so that should give enough time for you to know if the mov eis going ahead.

Mohammed

Hello @newuser2022,

You’re liable for a contract for the minimum term.

You can use your service abroad and if you do move permanently, you’ll still be able to but incur a surcharge for usage after the 4th month if you can’t prove ties to the UK (which in this case wouldn’t be possible due to moving).

You can then cancel after the term is up.

You’re better off getting a PAYG (which you can just stop using when done) or a monthly rolling contract SIM which you can cancel at any time with 30-days notice until you know for sure.

You can upgrade a monhtly rolling SIM contract after 6-months of payments so that should give enough time for you to know if the mov eis going ahead.

Mohammed

Thanks Mohammed - any idea what the surcharges would look like?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @newuser2022 

The surcharges would be a part of the Fair Usage policy here.

The charges would automatically be applied to your bill if ties to the UK cannot be proved after 4 months of roaming usage.

Tom

Userlevel 1

The charges would automatically be applied to your bill if ties to the UK cannot be proved after 4 months of roaming usage.

• After 4 months, could the contract ever be terminated by ID Mobile? Can my number stop working without notice from ID Mobile?
  • If I pay the additional charges will I be able to keep my contract / number?
  • I´m moving abroad and would like to keep my number. If I use the phone only to receive sms and calls will occur in any additional charges?

Thank you.

Why iD Mobile?