Question

What is happening with my refund? Live chat giving different answers

• 23 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

Sorry for this long story but I thought best to give a full view of the issues I have been through and to provide some key context to this issue I am having. 

On the 5th of October I pre-ordered an upgrade for my contract, for the Pixel 8 Pro which was due to be released on the 12th of October. Whilst trying to upgrade I seen the offer online was £99.00 upfront, £29.99 a month, unlimited everything which was a great offer. However, the order wouldn’t go through online, so I contacted the Live chat and spoke to someone there who organised a call back with the sales team. The sales team then were able to process this upgrade and took the £99.00 upfront charge over the phone. All was well. 

On the 9th of October, I realised I hadn’t received an order confirmation, or any other emails apart from the Contract from the sales team which I signed whilst on the call placing the upgrade. So I contacted the live chat and spoke to someone there who informed me that the upgrade order was placed but a order confirmation wouldn’t be sent until the order was shipped as it was a pre-order. This was something I understood and decided to wait until the Wednesday as the phone was due to be with me on the Thursday. 

Wednesday 11th evening came around and I noticed I hadn’t received a confirmation or information about delivery, so again I contacted the live chat. Here I was informed that my order had been cancelled, but there was no info on why it had been cancelled. The person on the live chat apologised for not being contacted regarding the cancellation and that they have organised a call back with the sales team in the morning in order to go through this cancellation. At this point I check to see the £99.00 charge was no longer pending and had been cleared from my account. 

On Thursday 12th, I got a call from the sales team, who couldn’t see why it was cancelled and that we would have to process a new upgrade order. This was fine and they told me that the upgrade required a check to be sent off and that they would phone back once this has cleared. They advised in the mean time to contact ID and process a refund via the live chat. This is something I did, I was told I would receive a refund reference number, via text and it would take 3-5 business days. I got a call back from the sales team later, who informed me the issue was a pricing issue on their side hence why the original upgrade was cancelled. The new price would be £42.00 a month, with a £99.00 upfront cost. I went through the same process and paid the additional £99.00 upfront cost for this second order. This order all went through and my upgrade was process, and I received the phone the next day. 

On the Monday the 16th, I realised I hadn’t received a refund number via text and again contacted the live chat. I spoke to someone there who told me the refund wasn’t processed on the 12th, and that they would organise this. I then received a refund text later that day with a refund ID number. 

Following this on today 23rd, I checked my back and seen no such refund had been deposited. So again I contacted the live chat, and was told to wait till tomorrow (24th), then contact ID via the live chat again. 

When checking later I noticed Carphone Warehouse had deposited £0.01 to my account, this was confusing and I thought best to check with the live chat that the originally processed refund wasn’t for £0.01 but for £99.00. Speaking to the person I was told the original refund number was for £0.01, and that had been processed. They then looked deeper into my account and gave me a different refund number for the £99.00, and told me they would chase this with the financial team as it should of been deposited. I was told I would receive and email or text within 48 hours with info. 

However, I have now received this text and email telling me I am due no refund? Where is my original £99.00? 

I am at the end of my tether, being £99.00 down for the best part of a month, speaking to a live chat which doesn’t have much information, and having to chase this issue constantly. There seems to be a gap in communication between ID and their clients, and its very hard to explain this issue over a live chat, and not over the phone. I want this money back asap really and I am now stuck between waiting and chasing the via the live chat again, or raising a charge back via my back, which I don’t want to do if the refund is genuinely on its way. So this is a last reach out for some help and some answers. 

Additionally, this is the second time I have tried to post this now. 

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Was your cancelled purchase from Carphone Warehouse or iD Mobile @Tommoffatt

Although are both wholly owned Currys subsidiaries, they’re run as independent businesses. 

If you purchased from Carphone Warehouse, this forum is probably not the best place to resolve your issue.

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite , 

The upgrade was done over the phone with ID mobile, both of the upgrades were completed with the over the phone sales team at ID (020 7139 1397). However the bank charges state Carphone Warehouse as the recipients, as well as the £0.01 refunded.   

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Tommoffatt, can’t your bank assist you with this, given you’ve paid by debit / credit card over the phone? 

Userlevel 1

@andewhite They could process a charge back as it was a Visa Debit payment (they should be able to but I haven’t spoken to them directly about this), but my worry is that ID have actually refunded the £99.00 (I have two refund issue numbers), and that it could cause issues with ID. 

However, I am unsure where to go to in order to get the best info regarding this refund, as the live chat seems to go round in circles and there isn’t a phone help line etc. If its the best option to contact my bank instead then I will. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Tommoffatt, I’m not an iD employee, but it often looks like their online live chat service is somewhat of a lottery.

As iD don’t have a telephone support helpline, perhaps talking to the iD sales team about this might be more productive.

Personally, I’d rather have £99 x 2 from iD and leave them sort that out, instead of chasing iD for information. Nearly 20-days since your initial pre-order, and you’re still in limbo.

As a retail business, the iD processes and procedures should minimise the risk of incidents like this; however, IMO iD Mobile seem a no-frills operator, often appearing unresourced + untrained in customer service.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, @andewhite I will speak to ID sales team in the morning and if they can’t provide any answers, I will contact my bank to try sort it out. 

Yeah I totally second the Live chat being a lottery, some people have been helpful others have not. 

Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Tommoffatt,

We hope that you managed to get this resolved.

If you require further assistance please let us know here.

Kash

Userlevel 1

@Kash still not resolved 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You’re amazingly patient @Tommoffatt - I’d have given up by now, and gone to my bank for assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Tommoffatt 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?