Question

Why can't I use wifi data?

• 30 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a Samsung A53 5G mobile and for the first time ever I have exceeded my mobile data allowance.  I understand why this has happened and can see that both my mobile data and wifi data are very high this month.

I’m at home and connected to my home wifi, so even though my mobile data allowance has been exceeded, meaning I can no longer use mobile data, I’m also being blocked from using wifi data.  Chrome is showing there is no internet connection.

Is this ID Mobile blocking my home wifi access via my phone or is this a mobile setting that I need to change to allow me to continue to use wifi, even though I’ve exceeded my mobile data allowance?

This is urgent as I need to be able to monitor my elderly parents who both have advanced dementia, via Ring cameras/doorbell that was recently installed.  This is the cause of my high data usage.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @milleniumaire 

There may be a setting in your device that restricts the usage of any sort of data (Mobile data & Wi-Fi) after a certain amount, however I believe the “Data warning and limit” setting is just for mobile data, nothing on our side would block the usage of Wi-Fi on the device after your data allowance is used.

Tom

Thanks for responding Tom. I googled for any possible mobile settings that might prevent my mobile from connecting to the internet but couldn't find any.

I've now upgraded my contract to 15gb per month and everything is working okay again, including internet access!

Strange how increasing my ID mobile data allowance has fixed all my connectivity issues, even those over WiFi! No idea what was happening or why WiFi access was being prevented as WiFi access should have nothing to do with ID mobile.

Even though I've just upgraded from a 5gb data allowance to 15gb, the ID Mobile app shows my allowance is 11.08gb, with 7.23gb used (up from 6.38gb prior to the upgrade!). So instead of having 15gb available I've only got 3.85gb available! I don't know why the used allowance suddenly jumped up to 7.23gb or why my allowance is only showing 11.08 instead of 15gb!

There are some very strange things happening. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @milleniumaire,

Your allowances will be pro rated if you have upgraded or changed plan.

Once your allowances refresh you’ll get the correct amount of allowances that you changed to.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?