Question

Why did a credit check return declined?

• 6 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

Popped in to a Curry’s store today in Sussex and was about to purchase outright a new phone, the Samsung Flip 4. Staff advised me it would be cheaper to go the contract route and showed me how. Fair enough, let’s do this. Not a huge saving but every bit helps and the ID Mobile sim offered would give me free unlimited calls to anywhere in the EU apparently. Useful as I have family living in Cork. To my horror the credit check came back as declined!

How can this have happened? I have money in the bank, two credit cards with £25k combined limits and zero balances, no adverse. Before coming on this forum I checked with Experian and even opened an account with them. My rating is high, no missed payments for anything, no late payments for anything, so I am at a loss.

Any idea why the check was declined?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Unhappy Michael,

Did you query this with the store?

If a credit check failed, it’s usually down to not being accepted due to the credit score/lending criteria but we can’t disclose further information on this.

If you have another contract with us just purchased in a short period of time, it could have flagged due to this.

Mohammed

ID Mobile use Equifax so I got in touch with them and got a copy of the the report and info they have for me on file. As with Experian there is no adverse, no late or missing payments, I’m on the electoral role since 2017 and have an excellent score rating. Yes I had a bank loan about three years ago but this was settled early in full. I also had an agreement in place for a car from Jaguar but this was also settled early in full. In truth I’ve no idea what has happened here with ID Mobile but at the end of the day it’s their loss and I’ve since got a new Samsung Z Flip elsewhere and ported my sim to another network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Unhappy Michael,

Sorry to hear we weren’t able to help further here but glad to hear you got the device you wanted in the end elsewhere.

It could have just been an Internal Security Check that failed. 

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?