Solved

Why do a need a new sim when changing plan?

• 22 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

My 12 month sim only plan ended a few months ago. It was £16 per month, unlimited data.

As I haven’t been using much data over the last 12 months, I decided to switch to a cheaper plan with capped data and browsed through “upgrade” options, selected the £8 per month 20Gb data plan, monthly rolling contract. I have an email confirming this is an upgrade (well, technically a downgrade).

Remember because you're upgrading, please don't change any of your account details until the process is complete and you've received your confirmation email. This could result in a failed check, which means you'll have to resubmit your order.

I am being told a new sim is being sent to me. Why is this happening? Cannot the current sim just switch to the new plan at the end of the current billing cycle? If not, will I need to use the number transfer process? Will the £16 billing automatically stop?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 22 October 2022, 16:17

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @gruntfutuk - you probably don’t need a new SIM.

If your existing SIM fits in the phone you’ll be using with your upgraded plan, just carry on using your existing iD SIM.

The ‘new’ SIM from iD will be inactive (blank) - keep it somewhere safe in case you need it in the future. 

You can’t transfer a number from one iD plan to another iD plan, which is why iD offer existing customers change and upgrade options.

Good luck @gruntfutuk

Userlevel 1

Thank you. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Userlevel 1

Well, I received a new sim, apparently from Currys, this morning, delivered by DPD using a big van. This is the sim I am not going to use. What a waste!

The account information on the app has updated and shows I am not on the £8 per month plan but with unlimited data lasting until the end of the current period which I had already paid for. That suggests all will be well, continuity-wise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Well, I received a new sim, apparently from Currys, this morning, delivered by DPD using a big van. This is the sim I am not going to use. What a waste!

The account information on the app has updated and shows I am not on the £8 per month plan but with unlimited data lasting until the end of the current period which I had already paid for. That suggests all will be well, continuity-wise.

Hello @gruntfutuk,

DPD will also complete deliveries in your area/town for other companies so it’ll just be one of the stops when they delivered it.

We normally send SIMs via Royal Mail, however, due to the current Royal Mail strikes, these are being sent via DPD which is why it would have arrived through them.

I hope that clarifies.

If you need any further help, just let us know.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I had assumed the delivery vehicle wasn't for me exclusively and similarly assumed you were working around strikes.

Nevertheless, sending out a sim that is not needed is wasteful and confusing especially when there are comms about activating it when not appropriate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@gruntfutuk,

Thanks for your feedback regarding this.

We will be sure to check this out internally.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?