Question

Why is there no customer service?

• 11 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Why is there no customer service department at ID Mobile? 

We recently took out 3 phone contracts with ID mobile and ported numbers from a previous provider. Since activation we haven’t been able to use Imessage or Facetime on any of our devices and having spoken to Apple they have confirmed it is an issue with the configuration of our Sim after porting a number.

The only option we have is to speak with live chat, who all they can do is say the issue has been escalated (I'm on my 6th time being told this now). They also repeatedly lie on live chat, telling me that a call back has been requested, then when I speak to somebody else on live chat they say there is no call logged. 

What a dreadful service. How do I go about getting my issue resolved?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @TBDigital123,

With iD Mobile help & support is 100% online - there’s no telephone support.

The Apple iMessage & FaceTime apps often have problems after a number port - there are numerous posts about this topic in this community.

This happens because Apple register the mobile phone number for an Apple device on their servers for use with their propriety iMessage and FaceTime services.

Did you use your iPhone(s) with the temporary iD mobile number before you ported over the number(s) you wanted to keep? If you did, that initial number is probably still registered as being linked to iMessage & FaceTime on your iPhone.

Have you checked what mobile number(s) are linked to your iPhone(s) using:

1. https://appleid.apple.com
  2. https://www.icloud.com

Hi Andrew, 

Thank you for your reply - I didn’t use my temporary number at when setting up the phone so there should be no issue there. I only inserted the sim card into my phone once the ‘port’ took place, so my number registered with Apple hasn’t changed. 

I’ve seen numerous posts about this in the community and have followed all steps suggested but none have resolved my issue. What is also worrying is that the majority of posts on this topic are left open ended with no support from ID Mobile. It’s quite frankly shocking service from ID Mobile leaving so many people with issues and ‘fobbing them off’ by directing them to Live Chat who aren't able to assist. All they do is say the issue has been escalated and direct you in a never ending circle of ‘wait 48 hours’. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @TBDigital123, did you look at the two links below?

1. https://appleid.apple.com
  2. https://www.icloud.com

If you got a new device(s) when you joined iD Mobile, then your old device (iPhone) may still be registered with Apple as being the device(s) to use with the proprietary Apple iMessage and FaceTime services.

Thanks Andrew - tried both links and have reset my Apple ID, ICloud and phone number on both, no success! 

I dont currently have any devices associated Apple other than my new IPhone 13 with ID Mobile. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @TBDigital123, the mobile number you want to use with your iPhone 13 (from iD) is shown in iCloud and also at https://appleid.apple.com?

On your new iPhone 13, the mobile number you want to use is shown under:

1. Settings > Phone - My Number.
  2. Settings > Messages > Send & Receive - START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM
  3. Settings > FaceTime - YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT

Yep the same number - just stuck ‘verifying’ until a message pops up saying “An error occurred during activation”. Unable to get further than this. 

Things tried:

• Toggle Imessage on/off
  • Restart phone & toggle imessage on/off
  • Take sim out and restart phone (wait 10 minutes)
  • Reset Network settings & toggle Imessage on/off
  • Factory Reset Phone & toggle imessage on/off
  • Check phone number on phone, imessage, Apple ID etc
  • Reset Apple IDTry sim in a different Iphone (still doesnt work)

Have even tried the Sim in a different Iphone and still doesn't work - texts, phone calls & data all work fine but Imessage/Facetime refuse to activate/verify. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @TBDigital123 - I also had a problem activating iMessage and FaceTime when I ported to iD from SMARTY.

If I recall correctly, I solved the activation issue by:

1. Turned OFF iMessage (Settings > Messages).
  2. Turned OFF FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  3. Signed out from my Apple ID (Settings > ApplieID > Sign Out).
  4. Turned OFF my iPhone.
  5. Waited 30 minutes.
  6. Turned ON my iPhone.
  7. Signed in with my AppleID.
  8. Checked iMessage was turned ON.
  9. Checked FaceTime was turned ON.

This may work for you - I hope so. Otherwise, you’ll be reliant on iD to check and verify that your number was ported from Vodafone to iD Mobile correctly.

I don’t know if it’s because Currys sell Vodafone and iD Mobile airtime plans, but you quite frequently read about problems with ports from Vodafone to iD, neither of which appear top of the mobile service providers customer service league table.

Why iD Mobile?