Question

Wi-Fi calling keeps dropping out

• 26 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a Huawei P Smart 2019 which is on the list of supported phones for Wi-Fi calling on ID Mobile. Wi-Fi calling also worked flawlessly on Asda Mobile for me.

However I have been on ID mobile a few days now, and Wi-Fi calling regularly drops out every few minutes to airplane mode. It usually re-connects to Wi-Fi calling within 30 seconds, but why does this keep happening?

I have posted an example video below of one of the shorter drop-outs. I keep airplane mode enabled at home to force WiFi calling (bad mobile reception area).

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @arcall,

If I understand correctly, you keep Airplane mode on at home to ensure WiFi Calling is force enabled but this is dropping out and then reconnects shortly after?

Have you checked you aren’t having issues with WiFi also?

You may need to speak to your broadband provider.

Did you change handsets or just SIM cards?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi @Mohammed,

Yes, I keep Airplane mode on at home to ensure WiFi Calling is force enabled but WiFi Calling is frequently dropping out and then reconnecting.

My Wi-Fi signal and broadband connection are both very stable, I have no problems with them. You can see in the Youtube video that I had full reception on Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi calling dropped out on ID Mobile.

I'm using the same same handset as I used on Asda Mobile, the Huawei P Smart 2019. Wi-Fi calling never dropped out on that. The only thing I changed was the SIM card, from Adsa to ID.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The IMS technology used by ASDA Mobile and iD Mobile, to support their Wi-Fi Calling services, is probably different - so you’ll have changed more than just the SIM card @arcall.   

Userlevel 1

@andewhite I see. In which case it seems likely I will have to return to Asda Mobile to get the IMS technology which worked well with my phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sorry @arcall, I genuinely thought that was a screenshot and didn’t even realise it was a video 😂

I’ve just watched it and saw what you meant.

It’s likely the firmware impacting this, as WiFi Calling does seem to be working just not 100% as the device isn’t one that was sold by our stock.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

No problem @Mohammed, glad you got to see the video after all!

I might have found something which helps. I got an app from the Store which reveals a menu which is normally hidden on my phone, which allows me to set Wi-Fi Calling as preferred, rather than mobile network calling as preferred (see below).

I don't see why this would make a difference when the phone is in Airplane mode, but it seems to be much more stable now. I'll report back if I have any news.

Why iD Mobile?