Solved

WIFI Calling and Roaming Charges

• 27 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Can you inform me whether WIFI calling incurs charges for texts and calls if you are roaming outside the those EU countries?  Or is it included in my monthly allowances provided it’s over WIFI ? In particular, I’m interested in this when travelling in the USA, UAE, Australia and New Zealand? Thanks in advance for your clarification.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 27 October 2023, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iD say that their WiFi Calling is only available in the UK @Michael Valente

Even if WiFi Calling was an option outside the UK and EU + EEA destinations, your calls and texts would more than likely be charged at roaming rates.

If you’ve got a dual SIM phone, perhaps a better option is using a local PAYG SIM or an eSIM, for roaming in USA, UAE, Australia and New Zealand.

When I visited the USA and Australia earlier this year, I used a data only eSIM for roaming in the two destinations, which worked well.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 1

Hi Andewhite, thanks for your feedback. We are travelling to New Zealand next week and are looking at the data only eSIM options. I take it that it was straightforward to install and activate and that it works okay with ID Mobile? Also is there are particular eSIM provider that you would recommend to go with and which ones to steer well clear of? Thanks. Michael

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’ve only used Soracom Mobile, which worked well for me.

Userlevel 1

Wow. I havent come across that company.  I’ll check them out. Horafly seems to be the recommended one from the reviews. They do an unlimited 20 day one for $50.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think US Mobile also offer regional and global data only eSIM plans - as do Airalo.

Userlevel 1

The set-up of the eSIMs seems a bit finicky for a non-technical person like me. Am I correct in thinking that you have to switch on the data roaming once the eSIM is activated? That’s the scary bit because of the potential roaming charges if it defaults to the ID Mobile system in which case I would have three seconds before I breach my spending cap!!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The eSIM I purchased was scheduled to start on a given date, then stop after 30-days or if I used all the data. 

I just used an app from the eSIM vendor, which made the process fairly straightforward. 

Perhaps the eSIM vendor has online FAQ pages, or online chat for assistance. 

Once my eSIM was active, I turned OFF the mobile data for my iD SIM card to avoid any roaming data charges.

Why iD Mobile?