Solved

WiFi calling and texts

Can anyone possibly answer, why an approved device on the ID mobile network, is not showing the option to enable wifi calls and texts?

A quick and speedy resolution would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by andewhite 16 June 2023, 11:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Not without knowing the make and model of the handset you’re trying to use with iD WiFi Calling @Dzintra.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Dzintra 

Could you let us know the make and model of the device you’re using?

Have you tried the SIM card in another device to test there too?

Tom

Hi I can, it is definitely on the approved list of devices for WI-FI calling with ID mobile network.

I checked the list for this specific reason beforehand, so that I could make WiFi calls and texts.

It is a Sony Xperia 1 ii. I spoke to an ID representative on the phone last week and they confirmed, that it is an approved handset. And yet the option for WiFi calls and texts is nowhere to be found in my settings.

I don't have another device that is on the approved list, to try it with. My old handset does not support WiFi calling.

Thank you both for your messages, the help is really appreciated!! 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Dzintra, following below is a list of ALL the Sony Xperia handsets approved by iD Mobile for use with their network - have you got the “Sony Xperia 1 II” handset, as shown in the list? 

What version of Android is your Sony handset using @Dzintra?

Hi @andewhite 

Yes, I do have the Xperia 1ii as I said in my last message, and I already know it's on the ID list of approved handsets for WiFi calling...... As I stated in my initial message.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @Dzintra - what version of Android is your Sony handset using? 

I have had a phone call with the network today.

The representative was very polite and personable, but not very helpful at all.

- He gave me directions to reset the network settings, which I had to write out, because the two text messages he sent, did not come through (and still haven't). Then he asked if I had completed the instructions....... While on a call to me........ On the handset in question.

- He also gave me instructions to check if the handset was "EU stock". But the terms of the directions, did not correspond with the options available on my handset. I had to write these instructions down also. And have been left to figure out the wrong terminology, to hopefully find the information requested. Not great.

I also mentioned that I had noticed other people on different networks, with Xperia phones, experiencing the same issue....... They highlighted this in connection with the A12 update. But I was ignored here.

- He then told me if I wasn't at the registered address, that they couldn't garantee network coverage ........I get no network coverage at my registered address. I have to leave it in order to receive phone calls and texts........ Hence the importance of WiFi calling and texting for me. So the coverage would actually appear to be the opposite of what he stated. I informed him of this, as I already had with the representative I spoke to last Friday.

- he told me twice, that I would receive contact for a review of the phone call.......I have not. But it did not go well in terms of customer service and help.

I will be trying to reset the network settings today. I have already tried other options, that didn't work. Everything I could find, at this stage, directs you to contact your network provider, as they have the ability to enable wifi calling and texts on your device. This has not happened. I am two calls in so far, and will no doubt, need to make a third phone call to ID Mobile.

Because the option to enable wifi calling and texts is not present in my settings, as it should be. This is particularly frustrating as I cannot receive them at home.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Dzintra - good luck. 

@andewhite no problem , my phone is using A12..

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Your handset might be on the supported list but it still depends on a few other factors…

Where did you get the handset from?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@andewhite no problem , my phone is using A12..

Okay @Dzintra, maybe updating to Android 13 would fix the issue - if Sony provide the option to do this. 

Your handset may’ve been tested by iD with an earlier version of Android, and I doubt iD retest handsets when new versions of Android or iOS become available. 

I also rely on WiFi Calling for mobile services at home, which is why I switched from Android to iPhone. When I switched to iPhone, all the UK mobile service providers that offered a WiFi Calling service did so for iPhone handsets - support for Android handsets was very limited at the time, but has improved.

@WelshPaul - Hi yeah I know, I've been through this with ID on the phone a couple of times already now. They wanted me to check if the phone was EU stock (as mentioned above) but weren't relating the correct instructions in correspondence with my handset...... Still trying to figure this out with the wrong instructions ATM.

@andewhite  Yeah thank you, I'm starting to feel like I could do with all the look I can get with this issue (-_-).

Thank you for your suggestions! I will give them a go and get back.

I've even considered if it could be an issue with the SIM, meaning I need a newer replacement. I suppose if I try EVERYTHING! Something somewhere will hopefully work!  :S

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Did you buy your Sony on the grey market, or through a regular UK retail channel @Dzintra?

Your best option might be to find another service provider that supports your handset with WiFi Calling, and switch to them.

Awhile ago @Arcticpollen couldn’t get WiFi Calling working on iD Mobile with their iPhone 12 Pro, but everything worked straight away after they switched to SMARTY - which just doesn’t make sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Dzintra,

If you could please confirm what @andewhite has requested and we can advise further.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?